Fire outside Otay Mesa West prompts mall evacuation

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO – A strip mall in Otay Mesa West was evacuated as firefighters contained a rubbish fire that caused by a broken gas meter behind one of the businesses.

The fire broke out behind the Pollos Don Pepe restaurant in the Coronado Village Shopping Center, in the 2900 block of Coronado Avenue, at about 2:15 p.m., according to San Diego Fire-Rescue Department spokesman Lee Swanson.

The fire damage was limited to the building’s exterior and firefighters called in a San Diego Gas and Electric crew to repair the gas meter, Swanson said.

San Diego police were called to evacuate the businesses, including the Northgate Gonzalez Market. No one was injured.