High school building fills with smoke when air conditioner overheats

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO – An air conditioner overheated Monday at a San
Diego high school, forcing students to remain outside during one of the hottest days of the year, school officials said.

Building 400 at Scripps Ranch High School filled with smoke during the lunch break, according to school officials. The smoke caused a fire alarm to sound, but students were outside the building at the time.

School officials called the fire department, but crews determined that the stench and smoke came from a fried air conditioning unit.

Student remained outside in a shaded area of the quad until firefighters cleared the building. School officials said students returned to other classrooms that have working air conditioners for afternoon classes.