Kidnapping, rape suspect arrested in SWAT standoff

SAN DIEGO -- A lengthy overnight standoff between a San Diego police SWAT team and a wanted rape suspect who had holed up in a residence in North Park came to an end early today.

The victim, who was allegedly threatened by her boyfriend, 29-year-old parolee Nathan Lopez, was able to escape before officers descended on the home on Arizona Street near El Cajon Boulevard around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to San Diego police.

Lopez had previously been named in two felony arrest warrants in Riverside County, according to police.

Authorities did not immediately confirm the crimes for which the suspect was wanted, but warrants linked to the kidnapping of a Menifee woman at gunpoint in August were issued for a man named Nathan Lopez and another person. In that case, the two suspects allegedly took the victim from her home and forced her to obtain money to repay a debt to them and to release her.

San Diego police officers evacuated the apartment building which Lopez had refused to exit. Authorities said it was unknown at the time whether the suspect was armed.

Lopez was taken into custody shortly after 4 a.m., police said. No injuries were reported.