EL CAJON, Calif. – A worker for San Diego Gas & Electric was injured while on the job in El Cajon Monday, utility officials said.
An SDG&E worker was operating a "cherry picker type" bucket used to work on power lines when the worker was injured, according to City of El Cajon spokeswoman Monica Zech. Heartland Fire crews took the injured worker to a local trauma center believed to be UCSD Medical Center.
"I saw him - there was smoke in the bucket and he was yelling to get him down. He was moving his arms and stomping like he was trying to put out a fire," said Christine Austin, who lives across the street from where the accident happened.
The employee was working on replacing a single pole when an arc flash occurred (arc flashes are approximately 35,000 degrees Fahrenheit), according to Cal/OSHA.
SDG&E spokeswoman Amber Albrecht confirmed the worker was in the area of Shady Lane in El Cajon around 11:30 a.m. Monday, but did not provide details as to what happened to cause the worker to get hurt.
SDG&E released a statement regarding the situation:
“The SDG&E family is saddened to report that one of our employees has been injured and transported to the hospital. There is no higher priority than the safety of our employees and community and we will fully investigate this incident.”
The employee was hospitalized with very serious injuries, according to Cal/OSHA.