Crews battling brush fire near SR-94 in Campo

Undocumented immigrants left waiting on Obama’s appeal

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO -- The Obama Administration is on the defensive as it works to appeal a decision by a federal judge to halt his executive action on immigration, which was supposed to take effect Wednesday.

“There’s nothing we can do, there’s just nothing that we can do right now…I’m devastated,” said a woman only wanting to be identified as Maria.

She’s one of many who saw their hopes shattered earlier this week when a federal judge in Texas ordered an injunction halting President Obama’s executive action on immigration, which would have allowed roughly 5 million undocumented immigrants to stay in the country without fear of being deported.

The White House is in the process of appealing the federal judge’s decision, which is backed by Republicans accusing the president of abusing his authority.

“This is a lesson in civics and it is that this is a democratic process, it’s not like some dictator in some other part of the world gets to wave a scepter and make laws on their own,” said Ron Nehring with the San Diego Republican Party.

“We still believe this will move forward,” said immigration attorney, Ginger Jacobs.

The issue over deferred action also known as DACA and DAPA could end up in the hands of the Supreme Court.

“The best case scenario is sometime this calendar year extended DACA and DAPA continue as planned…the worst case scenario would be that the administration loses at the Supreme Court and that there is no opportunity to apply,” said Jacobs.

Immigrants like Maria, who was brought to the U.S. by her parents from Mexico when she was 12 and is now 37, will have to wait and see what happens.

“This is all I know. This is home,” she said.

Download Fox 5 iPhone app  |  Download Fox 5 Android app