Couple sickened by carbon monoxide in South Bay

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHULA VISTA, Calif. -- A South Bay couple was overcome by carbon monoxide fumes at their home Thursday, apparently due to a faulty heater.

The wife made an emergency call shortly before 9:30 a.m. to report that her husband was unconscious and she was feeling disoriented, according to Chula Vista police.

Officers and medics went to the house in the 400 block of Del Mar Court and helped the man and woman, both in their 50s, escape the fumes, Lt. Eric Thunberg said.

An ambulance crew took the couple to UCSD Medical Center, where they were expected to recover, the lieutenant said.

A San Diego Gas & Electric technician dispatched to the residence told police a malfunctioning wall heater seemingly was to blame for the potentially deadly release of toxic vapors.