‘Stuff the Bus’ food drive sets goal to provide 19K meals
SAN DIEGO — The annual “Stuff the Bus” food drive organized by the Metropolitan Transit System and North County Transit District got underway Monday.
Through Friday, people can donate canned food at any of the 39 Albertsons supermarkets in San Diego County. On Saturday, the donations will be “stuffed” inside buses for delivery to the San Diego Food Bank.
“MTS launched the Stuff the Bus food drive seven years ago not only to collect food for families in need, but to help raise community awareness about the issue of hunger in San Diego,” said Paul Jablonski, chief executive officer of the MTS. “This is a great partnership for a great cause, and we are confident the community will step up to the challenge.”
The food drive has a goal of providing 19,000 meals during this holiday season.
“We are thrilled to assist our San Diego neighbors in such a meaningful way this holiday season,” said county Supervisor Bill Horn, chairman of the NCTD Board of Directors. “Our buses will be moving food and other essential items for families in need. This is a wonderful opportunity for North County residents to help take care of those who need it the most.”
The bus-stuffing will take place at 17 Albertsons locations Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., including:
- 4S Ranch, 7895 Highland Village Place;
- Chula Vista, 723 Third Ave.;
- Clairemont, 5950 Balboa Ave.;
- Escondido, 1509 East Valley Parkway;
- Escondido, 1570 Valley Parkway;
- La Mesa, 8920 Fletcher Parkway;
- Lemon Grove, 7090 Broadway;
- Mira Mesa, 10740 Westview Parkway;
- Oceanside, 3450 Marron Road;
- Oceanside, 3925 Mission Ave.;
- Rancho Penasquitos, 14340 Penasquitos Road;
- Rancho San Diego, 2899 Jamacha Road;
- San Carlos, 8650 Lake Murray Blvd.;
- San Marcos, 151 Woodland Parkway;
- Santee, 9870 Magnolia Ave.;
- Spring Valley, 543 Sweetwater Road; and
- Tierrasanta, 10633 Tierrasanta Blvd.
The Girl Scouts will help stuff the buses Saturday, while volunteers with the Armed Forces YMCA will help unload the vehicles when they arrive at the Food Bank.