Police began investigating after a ninth-grade student posted a photo of himself holding a rifle to Twitter and threatened a shooting at the school.
In a statement on the school's website, Principal Maria Esther Lizarraga said police alerted school officials to the threat on Saturday and had since been working with police. Authorities have launched an investigation and contacted the student's family.
"At Eastlake High School, we take safety and security of our students very seriously and we assure you that we will do all we can to maintain a safe and secure campus,'' Lizarraga said.
Monday morning, school officials told Fox 5 that it would be business as usual at the school, but police officers would be on campus as a precaution.
"We definitely are in a sense of heightened security today, which just means that we're going to be a little extra cautious. We've got some officers here from Chula Vista Police Department. We've got a few other folks here who are just making sure that things are going to be OK," Sweetwater Union High School District spokesman Manny Rubio said. "As far as we know, it's something that has been handled. The police department was on it. They worked with us yesterday to take care of it. And again, we want to make sure that students are here and doing the important thing, which is being in class."
A number of students told Fox 5 that the threat made them nervous, but they said they were glad to see school official and police taking it seriously.
"They have to take it seriously, because a lot of lives can be in danger, especially with the recent shootings that's happened around the world. It's a big deal," one student said.
"I was little nervous coming to school," said Milton Page, student.
Daniel Aguilar is a student at Eastlake High School and said he knew the student's brother and he had been having some problems at school.
"I was kind of paranoid, but my parents made me come," said Aguilar. "I just know his little brother and he was getting bullied."
CVPD Lt. Don Redmond told U-T San Diego that there was no indication the 14-year-old boy would have carried out the threat to "shoot up a school.'' The student responsible for the threat was told not to attend classes Monday. School officials said the district's policy determines punishment based on how big of a disturbance was caused.
"It was a very large disruption so definitely something we’re going to take a little more seriously," said Rubio.