Boy Scout, 12, dies from self-inflicted gunshot

SAN DIEGO — A 12-year-old boy died Monday morning after shooting himself in the chest at a Boy Scout camp on Fiesta Island, police said.

“When officer’s arrived they did locate a handgun at the scene,” said Lt. Mike Hastings.

Initially it was reported the boy had shot himself in the head.  The shooting was reported as an attempted suicide at 7:36 a.m., San Diego police Lt. Mike Hastings said. The boy was declared dead at the Fiesta Island Youth Camp.

12-year-old Boy Scout Dies From Gunshot WoundPolice originally said that the victim was 11 years old. At a mid-morning news conference, Hastings said he was actually 12 years old and arrived at the camp Sunday afternoon with a group of about 20 Scouts from Las Vegas. The group was scheduled to stay at the camp through July 5, Hastings said.

“We do have a scout master here along with other males, including the deceased’s father,” said Lt. Hastings.

The name of the boy was withheld. No information was released on the circumstances of the shooting, the kind of weapon involved or how the boy got hold of the weapon.

According to the Boy Scouts of America website, the organization offers week-long programs on the island in Mission Bay where scouts can earn a variety of merit badges.

Throughout the day parents and family of other scouts showed up at camp.  A mother from Chula Vista opted to pick up her 11-year old son.

“It’s for me, it’s for my sanity mainly I think he’ll be fine,” said a woman named Silvia.

Others wanted to see their scouts, but let them stay.

” l’d like to be able to see my grandson and make sure he’s ok,” said Bob Jones.

” I know my son is safe and he’s being taken care of,” said Lisa Uribe.  “But, just like every mother I hear something like this, they want their children in their arms.”

18 Comments to “Boy Scout, 12, dies from self-inflicted gunshot”

Ian said:
    June 30, 2014 at 9:35 AM

God Bless the boy

Selenia Nouger said:
    June 30, 2014 at 9:44 AM

OMG how bad his life was at 11 that he did that to himself?
    R.I.P.

Guest said:
    June 30, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I pray this was an accident and that the boys can heal… I pray for the parents, this is devastation
    !

drvss said:
      June 30, 2014 at 10:56 AM

We need to question the parents, not pray for them.

dpk said:
    June 30, 2014 at 10:23 AM

FOX 5 PLEASE KEEP AWAY! We don't really need the details or watch any interviews….

Mike Angelo said:
    June 30, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Terrible!!!! Poor family.

james said:
    June 30, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Corrupt media will stoop to anything to smear the Boy Scouts.

OdaleyVato said:
      June 30, 2014 at 2:48 PM

By reporting this incident? Yes, you figured them out… derp..

Mike Angelo said:
    June 30, 2014 at 1:58 PM

100:1 odds it will be blamed on bullying…

Whale said:
    June 30, 2014 at 3:59 PM

This is really sad.

bryan said:
    June 30, 2014 at 4:20 PM

No one has asked why, surrounded by peers and supposed adult supervision, this kid had a gun?

Greg said:
    June 30, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Very sad, but don't blame an inanimate object. When I was 11, I kid in my class hung himself with his Dad's belt. And a couple of years ago one of my kid's friends stepped in front of a train. The gun did not kill this kid, he killed himself using a gun. Don't blame the tool, get more involved with your kids and stay involved. Know your kids, and if they need help, get them help. It's not the gun's fault. People who want to commit suicide will find a way, regardless of the tool (OD on pills, take poison, hanging, asphyxiation, slit your wrists, drowning, and the list goes on). Quit with the gun control nonsense and tackle the problem at its root-cause; better parenting and psychological help when needed.

Mick said:
    June 30, 2014 at 10:00 PM

This is just tragic beyond words! More to the point, it should not have been possible. Firearms are absolutely prohibited at Scout camps or outings, except for official shooting range weapons, which are limited to shotguns and single-shot .22 rifles. Additionally, it's normal procedure to hold a pack inspection before leaving for summer camp, to make sure that all of the Scouts have their necessary items (what we call the "10 requirements"), and no prohibited items, such as video games – or as in this case, firearms – are packed. An older Scout, or a Life or Eagle might not have to be subject to such inspection, but a 12-year old certainly should have.

Guest said:
    July 1, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Yes, guns are never the problem just merely an object. Ridiculous! !! Come on people, wake up, GUNS ARE the problem!!! And why? Because they facilitate acts like this. Every week we hear of a story like this or a shooting at some school. But let’s keep protecting guns instead of our kids because that is the CHRISTIAN thing to do, right???

Austin said:
    July 1, 2014 at 10:49 AM

I was at this camp a couple weeks ago for Summer Camp, and I can say that this was not a Boy Scout related issue. They dont have any rifle ranges or even an archery range at the camp. I agree this was a bad accident, and it should have never happened in the first place. R.I.P.