Apartment fire blamed on construction project

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — Exploding vapors from a bathtub refinishing project caused the fire Saturday in a two-story, 28-unit apartment building on Point Loma that sent three people to a hospital for treatment, firefighters said Sunday.

House-fire-hydrant-sdfd“The Chatsworth Boulevard apartment fire was caused by ignitable vapors,” said San Diego Fire-Rescue spokesman Lee Swanson. “The bathtub was being refinished and vapors were ignited by electrical equipment used by the refinisher. He was taken to the hospital with burns.”

Swanson said a San Diego police officer suffered from smoke inhalation and was hospitalized. Another woman in the apartment complex was also taken to a hospital for treatment after complaining of dizziness and shortness of breath.

“The police officer was released from the hospital after being treated,” San Diego Police officer Dan Lasher said.

A total of 60 firefighters responded to the two-alarm fire and took about 20 minutes to knock it down, Swanson said.

The Red Cross assisted 20 to 25 people displaced by the fire to find temporary housing.