SDPD officers push stranded Army vet home

SAN DIEGO – Video surfaced showing two San Diego police officers helping a disabled Vietnam veteran get home after he was left stranded on his motorized scooter over Memorial Day weekend.

Officers Eric Cooper and Milo Shields happened upon 67-year-old Gilbert LaRocque on Clairemont Mesa Boulevard Sunday. The scooter he relies on to get around had run out of power and he could not walk home.

A passerby offered to give him a ride, but could not take his 300 pound scooter. That’s when the officers arrived.

Officers-Help-Disabled-Man-Get-Home

Video shows officers pushing disabled man down the street. (SDPD)

LaRocque said Cooper and Shields decided to push the scooter with him seated inside back to his Clairemont home on Convoy Court.

“He told the other officer, ‘Are you up for a walk?’ The other officer said, ‘Yeah.’ They gave me a push all the way home. If it weren’t for them, I don’t know what I would have done,” LaRocque said.

LaRocque had been running errands that day. He started off at the Food for Less on Clairemont Mesa Boulevard then worked his way to KFC. He said he started to notice his battery life diminishing quickly before it eventually ran out and left him stranded.

LaRocque also said on 100 percent battery life, the scooter should be able to travel close to 20 miles. He had only been traveling an estimated 3 miles.

“I was surprised that [the officers would] push me that far,” LaRocque said.

The Army veteran did not realize someone had recorded video of the officers pushing him in his scooter. He is excited people have taken an interest to the story.

“I’m thinking about standing out in front of the parking lot and giving people my autograph,” LaRocque said.

18 Comments to “SDPD officers push stranded Army vet home”

Fred said:
    May 29, 2014 at 12:26 AM

SDPD. There a reason why their cars say "America's Finest" on the doors. You wouldn't see anything like this in New York, Chicago, Boston or Philly. Their Unions wouldn't allow it. Not in their policy and procedures so they wouldn't do it. SDPD to the rescue. Nice job officers. You make us San Diegans proud. Thank you!

Fred said:
      May 29, 2014 at 1:38 PM

America's finest my a** !!

Most of the officers protect and serve themselves as has been shown multiple times.

Kudos to these officers but if they were injured doing this we tax payers would be paying.

Michael said:
    May 29, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Awesome job guys.

ᙓᔕᙅO said:
    May 29, 2014 at 11:13 AM

"To Protect and Serve"
    Here's a great example of this right here. ツ

Normal Guy said:
    May 29, 2014 at 12:25 PM

I heard that when they made it back to the vets' house one of the cops fondled him while he was still on the scooter!

Just kidding. Nice to finally see some good news from the SDPD. Good job guys.

Greg P said:
    May 29, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I hear people bashing policemen all the time but in my 62 years I have only encountered 2 rude policemen and that was in Gilbert AZ last summer.

Maybe there is hope for the human race. Good job guys!

joshboardfox5 said:
    May 29, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Awesome story. I love this.

Debbie said:
    May 29, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Officers Cooper and Shields: You both are truly wonderful men who made a remarkable gesture to a man who served his country!!
    I commend all 3 of you and thank all 3 of you for your service!!! You truly are an asset to your Department!!
    Be safe out there,