Cocos Fire nears full containment

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PaseoTierraSAN MARCOS, Calif. — A nearly 2,000-acre wildfire that destroyed 40 structures in the San Marcos areas during last week’s red flag conditions was nearing full containment Tuesday, authorities said.

The Cocos Fire, which broke out for unknown reasons near Cocos Drive on late Wednesday afternoon, was 91 percent contained as of 6:15 p.m. Monday, according to Cal Fire. At last count, the state firefighting agency had 514 firefighters working on the incident, mostly putting out smoldering areas within its perimeter.

Also as of Monday evening, 21 fire engines, 13 fire crews, a bulldozer and two water tenders were assigned to the Cocos Fire.

An evacuation order for all San Marcos-area residents was lifted Sunday, though those who returned home were asked to use caution because of all the continuing firefighting activity in the area.

Among the 40 structures destroyed in the Cocos Fire were 25 structures at the Harmony Grove Spiritual Association, a century-old church retreat, according to fire and county officials.

Three minor injuries were reported.

The fire’s cost to date was more than $5.7 million, authorities said.