Sports

Tony Gwynn to coach Aztecs during cancer treatment

SAN DIEGO – Tony Gwynn has returned for another season as the head coach of San Diego State’s Aztecs baseball team, despite recent cancer treatments.

In 2012, Gwynn underwent surgery to remove a tumor from his right cheek in 2012. It was successful, but this past fall, the battle began again with more treatments and he had to miss most of his team’s fall practices.

His team didn’t know what to expect either, pondering a 2014 season full of unknowns.Tony-Gwynn

“He said throughout the fall, ‘guys, just stick with me. I’m working on my health. I’m going to try and be there as much as I can,’” said infielder Tim Zier. “We just stuck with him, and always gave him a few phone calls just to pick him up.”

“Earlier in the year, I got here when I could get here,” said Gywnn. “The last three weeks or so I’ve been lucky. I’ve been able to be here every day. My strength is good and seems like they’re going in the right direction, but with cancer you never know.”

Coach Gwynn is now back coaching practice full time. His efforts are not lost with Aztec players like junior outfielder Greg Allen.

“I think the way Coach Gwynn has carried himself – on and off the field – it’s special,” Allen said. “He tells us he loves each and every one of us. He wants nothing but the best for us.  To see him out there, giving his all for us, even in maybe not the best physical conditions for himself, I think we can do nothing more but give our all on the field and do everything we can to make him proud.”

Nothing would make Gwynn prouder than to see his team defend its Mountain West Conference title and earn a trip to the NCAA tournament.

“When Coach Gwynn wasn’t here last fall, we wanted to win for him,” said Zier. “It was going to be a season for Coach Gwynn. Now, that he’s here he can share those moments with us.”

Before every practice, every game, Gwynn addresses his team.  Hundreds of speeches given Gwynn to his team in the dugout have focused on confidence and execution.  His message on Thursday ended with a note of strength.

“I know we’ve been through some negative stuff, but I’m going to put that aside this week,” Gwynn told his players.

Gwynn makes sure to remind his team that it’s always about finding the right way to view a situation.

“The one thing I tell them, it’s like baseball. If you have the right attitude about it, usually good things happen. Sometimes it’s hard standing here with this bandage on, and all this stuff, but underneath I’m doing good. I’m doing really good,” he said.

10 Comments to “Tony Gwynn to coach Aztecs during cancer treatment”

Hank said:
    February 14, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Tony needs to retire and let someone else take over the program. The program has remained stale and actually slipped since he took over 12 years ago. He can then concentrate on his tv career and health, because it doesn't appear that he is dedicating the required time to be the head baseball coach.

youtube.com/watch?v=UZ7PABF4ZhE said:
    February 17, 2014 at 5:05 AM

First I see the blal wehre I wnat it to fiinsh, ncie and wihte and siinttg up hgih on
    the birght geern garss. We moved to the Etawah and then back to Lucknow,
    where I completed my education. This is where you need to be like a bar of Ivory Soap.

luxury apartments near roswell rd said:
    February 19, 2014 at 6:02 PM

What i do not realize is if truth be told how you are not actually a lot more well-liked
    than you may be now. You are very intelligent. You understand therefore
    considerably on the subject of this topic, produced
    me in my view imagine it from so many varied angles. Its like
    men and women are not involved except it is something to
    do with Woman gaga! Your own stuffs excellent. All
    the time take care of it up!

cruiser Skateboard guide 2014 said:
    February 20, 2014 at 7:45 AM

Gday, Wherе did skateboardiing start? Ʀegards
    for а stellar read.

gardening wagon said:
    March 3, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Wow that was odd. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear.
    Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again.
    Anyhow, just wanted to say excellent blog!

Ohio medical malpractice attorney said:
    March 16, 2014 at 5:00 PM

I’m not sure the place you’re getting your info, but great topic.
    I needs to spend a while finding out more or working out more.
    Thank you for excellent info I used to be looking for this info for my mission.

Charissa said:
    May 3, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Why visitors still make use of to read news papers when in
    this technological globe the whole thing is available
    on web?

garden fountains said:
    May 3, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Quality articles is the key to attract the visitors to visit the site, that’s
    what this web site is providing.

carpets for girls room said:
    May 31, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Hello, its nice paragraph about media print, we all be familiar with media is a impressive source of data.