Health

Councilman wants to curb e-cigarette use

SAN DIEGO — Councilman Mark Kersey proposed Thursday that the city of San Diego implement regulations to address the proliferation of electronic cigarettes, more commonly known as e-cigarettes.

e-cigaretteKersey sent a memo to the City’s Public Safety and Livable Neighborhoods Committee asking for the issue to be put on the docket for consideration.  Kersey said he wants to see e-cigarettes regulated like tobacco products.

“You should need a tobacco permit from the city to sell them,” said Kersey. “You should not be able to sell them to minors obviously, and you should not be able to consume them in public places where others are around.”

Chicago, Los Angeles and New York have banned e-cigarettes in restaurants and public places and, locally, so have Carlsbad, Vista and Poway.

“People should have a choice of whether they want to smoke or do the e-cigs,” said Tony Wilson who is against the regulations. “I think they’re starting to put too many restrictions on people.”

E-cigarettes are considered by many to be a safer alternative to traditional cigarettes, but Kersey said that thinking is dangerous.

“The problem is we don’t have enough research to know if they’re safer than regular cigarettes or not,” said Kersey. “The FDA is looking into it but we’re not going to get any good data from them for a couple of years so in the meantime, we have to be looking out for the people we serve.”

He said he is also concerned they are being heavily marketed to kids with names like peppermint patty and Coca-Cola.

“Our concern is for the children in this case — that we’re not exposing them to something that they’re going to believe is a socially acceptable alternative to smoking cigarettes,” he said.

The issue will now go before a committee and then possibly on to the full City Council for a vote.

9 Comments to “Councilman wants to curb e-cigarette use”

another ban said:
    February 13, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Ban this, ban that, ban ban ban. Lets ban politicians from banning anything.

guest said:
    February 14, 2014 at 3:12 AM

its water vapor, people should mind their own business and get a life and stop bothering other people

PB GEEK said:
    February 14, 2014 at 6:40 AM

@Councilman Kersey: It's water vapor. Do you also plan to regulate clouds and fog? Think about that while you're ironing your shirts. And remember, no steam. We just don't know how harmful it may be. Idiot.

Bowler's Desk San Diego News said:
    February 14, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Reblogged this on San Diego News – Bowler's Desk and commented:
    Councilman wants to curb e-cigarette use

Me said:
    February 14, 2014 at 8:58 AM

I’ve seen people smoke these at the gym, bus,restaurants, school, train, every place indoors even at statbucks. Some flavors really stink

como se quitan las estrias de los brazos said:
    February 18, 2014 at 7:48 AM

Hi, i feel that i saw you visited my weblog so i came to “go back the desire”.I’m trying
    to to find things to enhance my web site!I assume its ok to make use
    of a few of your concepts!!

Midtown Photobooth said:
    February 19, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Good day! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be okay.

I’m undoubtedly enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.

indian numerology calculator said:
    March 23, 2014 at 2:59 PM

I leave a leave a response whenever I especially enjoy a article on a site or
    I have something to add to the discussion.
    It’s triggered by the passion communicated in the post I read.
    And on this post Councilman wants to curb e-cigarette use | FOX5 San
    Diego – San Diego news, weather, traffic, sports from KSWB.
    I was actually moved enough to drop a comment ;) I
    do have some questions for you if it’s okay. Is it just me or does
    it appear like some of these responses look like coming from
    brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are writing at other social
    sites, I’d like to follow you. Could you list every one of your community pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?