Help California wildfire victims

Candle sets apartment ablaze

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LEMON GROVE, Calif. — A young child moved a lit candle to an unsafe location, sparking an apartment fire in Spring Valley, authorities said Wednesday.

San Diego Firefighters at nightThe noninjury fire at 9034 Kenwood Drive erupted shortly before 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to San Diego County sheriff’s Sgt. Julio Sandoval.

The fire started in a top floor back bedroom of a two-story apartment unit, the sergeant said in a statement.

A damage estimate was pending.

Deputies helped evacuate residents while firefighters put out the blaze, Sandoval said, noting the American Red Cross was called to assist affected residents.

2 comments

Comments are closed.