California schools fear losing millions for low-income students

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

school-moneyLOS ANGELES – Major California school districts fear they will be shortchanged millions of dollars in funding for their low-income students under new state rules requiring them to verify family incomes every year.

Officials in Los Angeles, San Diego, Fresno and elsewhere are scrambling to collect verification forms but said that hundreds of families have not yet turned them in — potentially jeopardizing funding that school districts are counting on this year. At stake, for instance, is $200 million in L.A. Unified and $6 million in San Diego.

The districts are urging the state to guarantee them all funding due this year, based on last year’s count of low-income students, whether the new forms are turned in or not.

Under a new law this year, districts are receiving extra money for students who are low income, learning English or in foster care — a boost that amounts to about $2,800 per pupil in L.A. Unified. State officials say the rules are necessary to ensure that the extra dollars are going to those who actually qualify for them.

“We have to make sure that the [new system] is being driven by real students and their needs,” said Erin Gabel, director of government affairs for the California Department of Education.

But many districts are objecting, saying they already verify students’ family income every four years for the federally subsidized meal program. A separate, annual effort for the state risks missing some students and costs districts both time and money to complete, they said.

“The whole thing is outrageous,” said L.A. Unified schools Supt. John Deasy said. “Give our kids their fair share.”

Some school systems are struggling to collect the state paperwork, saying that notifications about it came too late and that some parents are balking at divulging personal information.

In the Fresno Unified School District, for instance, hundreds of families have declined to fill out the income forms — possibly because of fears associated with immigration, according to Ruth Quinto, the district’s chief financial officer. Parents may also be confusing the new state forms with the federal meals documents they’ve already filled out, some community organizers said.

In L.A. Unified, only 39.5% of 138,000 verification forms distributed to 380 high-poverty schools had been returned as of Friday, the district’s initial deadline. Deasy said the state should simply accept the federal data rather than require a separate state verification process.

Deasy drew statewide attention to the issue last week in a sharp exchange with Rich Zeiger, chief deputy superintendent of public instruction. After L.A. Unified released a statement attacking the state for “shortchanging” its students, Zeiger retorted that “allowing [L.A.] to circumvent the same paperwork that every other district is required to do would deny much-needed funding to other students around the state.”

That prompted Deasy to fire off another statement, saying he was “offended by [Zeiger’s] presumption that middle-class students are sneaking into schools in poor areas to reap the benefits of additional funding.” He invited Zeiger to tour impoverished L.A. neighborhoods with him — but the deputy schools chief has not accepted, Deasy said.

In San Diego Unified, only three of 68 high-poverty schools had turned in their forms as of last week, said Martha Alvarez, the district’s director of government relations. She said San Diego was also concerned about an undercount of the 40,000 students in those schools who are set to receive millions in extra dollars.

Read more at latimes.com

3 comments

Comments are closed.