Remains of missing Fallbrook family found in desert

SAN DIEGO — Two of four bodies found in shallow graves in the desert north of Victorville are those of Joseph and Summer McStay, but it remained unclear Friday if the other bodies were those of their two young sons.

McStayFamily

A McStay family snapshot

The McStays and their boys, Gianni and Joseph Jr., went missing from their home in Fallbrook in February 2010. The family’s 1996 Isuzu Trooper was found abandoned four days later in San Ysidro, near the US-Mexico border.

The skeletal remains of four people were found in and near two shallow graves, in the Mojave Desert outside Victorville by a motorcyclist on Monday, according to the San Bernardino Sheriff’s Department.

Remains of Four People Found Buried in Desert Near Victorville

The remains of four people were discovered in shallow graves in the desert north of Victorville.

Patrick McStay, Joseph’s father, was notified about the identification of his son and daughter-in-law by law enforcement sources, according to Jerrie Dean, a San Diego County woman who runs the website MissingPersonsofAmerica.com.  Dean told Fox 5 that the father said the other two bodies had not been positively identified as of Thursday.

McStayBorderVideo

Security video at the San Ysidro border crossing was thought to show the McStay family crossing into Mexico.

“He always felt that foul play was involved. I asked him if I could repeat some of the information that he had, and he was really willing to give that to me,” Dean told Fox 5 News. “I posted it on my website, so that people could see the other side of the story, because there’s a video showing a family going across the border, and most people have believed that was the McStay family crossing it, and he never really believed that that was them.”

The Los Angeles Times also spoke with Patrick McStay. The father told the paper that San Bernardino County Sheriff’s detectives contacted him about the bodies. He said that although two of the bodies had yet to be identified, he believed they were his two grandsons.

Sheriff’s officials said a forensic anthropologist would assist in conducting the autopsies to determine the causes of death, ages and gender.

The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department has scheduled a news conference to provide more details on the investigation at 11 a.m. Friday. Fox 5 will have a news crew at that news conference.

12 Comments to “Remains of missing Fallbrook family found in desert”

Bowler's Desk San Diego News said:
    November 15, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Reblogged this on San Diego News – Bowler's Desk and commented:
    Remains found in desert may be missing Fallbrook family

johnpassalacqua said:
    November 15, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Who buried them? What was the motivation for the murder of an entire family? Did a family member double cross a mobster or drug kingpin?

dailydebacle said:
    November 15, 2013 at 9:20 AM

As soon as I heard "4 bodies" I feared this. It's just sad, sad, sad. My heartfelt thoughts to family and friends.
    The story will evolve but everything I've read of the mom appeared to show she was a bit "off". Regardless, the "murder" of children is heinous.

Mark K said:
    November 15, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Of course the other two bodies are of the sons. LE can be such idiots sometimes. Anyway, R.I.P to the family. Such a horrible tragedy. I hope this monster is caught.

Ezlocal.Com said:
    April 25, 2014 at 6:29 AM

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was
    a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from
    you! By the way, how can we communicate?

atlanta mortgage rates said:
    April 25, 2014 at 6:30 AM

Simply wish to say your article is as astonishing.
    The clearness for your publish is simply nice and that
    i could think you are knowledgeable in this subject.
    Fine with your permission let me to grasp your RSS feed to keep updated with impending post.
    Thanks 1,000,000 and please keep up the rewarding work.

georgia mortgage rates said:
    April 25, 2014 at 6:30 AM

My developer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP.
    I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses. But
    he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using Movable-type on a number of websites for about a year and am anxious about switching to another platform.
    I have heard good things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress content into it?
    Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

buy maine lobster said:
    May 21, 2014 at 12:47 AM

I think the admin of this web site is really working hard in support of his site, for the reason that
    here every data is quality based material.

Klara said:
    June 16, 2014 at 4:08 AM

You can definitely see your enthusiasm within the work you write.

The sector hopes for even more passionate writers

like you who aren’t afraid to say how they believe.

All the time follow your heart.

great miter saw reviews said:
    July 21, 2014 at 5:21 PM

What’s up to all, it’s genuinely a nice for me to
    go to see this web site, it consists of priceless Information.