2 schools locked down after email threat

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NationalCityPoliceCarsNATIONAL CITY, Calif. — An anonymous email claiming that a bomb had been planted at one of two neighboring South Bay public schools prompted lockdowns at the campuses Tuesday while police investigated.

The apparent hoax threat prompted the security alerts at Olivewood Elementary and Sweetwater High in National City shortly after 9 a.m., said Nadege Johnson, a spokeswoman for Sweetwater Union High School District.

Administrators kept all students secured in their classrooms or on school playing fields while authorities sought to determine if any hazards existed at either campus, according to police.

The search at the primary school was complete by early afternoon with nothing dangerous found, but the lockdown there remained in effect as officers with service dogs continued looking over the grounds and checking rooms at the campus immediately to the south, district officials said.

Police gave an all-clear for Sweetwater High shortly after 2 p.m., according to Johnson.

It was unclear who sent the threatening email, which was received by several staff members at the secondary school, authorities said.

3 comments

Comments are closed.