Gas leak shuts down strip mall in Chula Vista
CHULA VISTA, Calif. — A backhoe operator accidentally ruptured a natural gas pipeline at a South Bay construction site Thursday afternoon, forcing a road closure and the evacuation of a nearby strip mall, authorities said.
The non-injury accident alongside Eastlake Parkway in Chula Vista was reported about 3:15 p.m., according to police.
Officers shut down the north-south thoroughfare between Birch Road and Crossroads Street and evacuated an adjacent shopping center until further notice, Capt. Gary Wedge said. Affected businesses included a Vons supermarket and a Bank of America branch office.
San Diego Gas & Electric had the gas line repaired and the area opened for business and traffic by 8:30 p.m., Wedge said.