DeMaio says he won’t run for mayor

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — Former Councilman Carl DeMaio announced Tuesday that he will not run to replace Bob Filner as mayor of San Diego.

DeMaio said at a late-morning news conference that he will continue his campaign to represent San Diego in Congress. He announced earlier this year that he is campaigning to unseat Rep. Scott Peters.

“I believe I can be part of big change in Washington, just as I’ve been proud to be part of a team that has made big changes here in San Diego.  That’s why, after much consideration as to how I can get things done for San Diego, I have decided to continue my campaign for Congress,” DeMaio said.

Earlier Tuesday, Supervisor Ron Roberts, who has run for mayor unsuccessfully in the past, announced he would not seek the post.

“I made this decision after much discussion with my family and close supporters,” Roberts said. “I will be forever grateful for their confidence.”

The city of San Diego race will attract candidates who understand the issues at City Hall, and the county still has some unfinished business, he said.

Acting Mayor Todd Gloria is set to announce his mayoral intentions Tuesday afternoon.

Councilman Kevin Faulconer said he will announce his decision Wednesday in a news conference on Harbor Island.

As of Friday, 15 people had declared their intention to run. Among the best known is former Assemblyman Nathan Fletcher, who finished a close third in the June 2012 mayoral primary behind Filner and DeMaio.

Fletcher, an Independent who left the Republican Party after it endorsed DeMaio last year, corralled the first endorsements in the race to replace Filner. On Thursday, he announced endorsements from the unions that represent the city’s white collar workers and firefighters.

Since leaving the political arena, he has worked as an executive for Qualcomm.

2 comments

Comments are closed.