SAN DIEGO — The woman who was the first to publicly accuse Bob Filner of sexual harassment — and to file a lawsuit — will return to her job as communications director in the San Diego mayor’s office when he steps down Friday.
Irene McCormack Jackson was given another city job earlier this summer when she complained about Filner’s behavior. Nearly 20 women, a couple of them city employees, followed her footsteps and accused the mayor of unwanted sexual advances.
McCormack Jackson alleges Filner told her she should work without her panties on, that he wanted to see her naked and that he could not wait to consummate their relationship. Filner also allegedly demanded kisses from McCormack Jackson and put his arm around her and dragged her along in a headlock while making sexual remarks.
It was mediation over the McCormack Jackson lawsuit that led the 70-year- old mayor to resign after less than nine months in office. He will officially step down at 5 p.m. Friday and be replaced on an interim basis by City Council President Todd Gloria, who announced McCormack Jackson’s return.
Mediation is continuing in her lawsuit.
“The Office of the Mayor will be staffed by experienced, responsible and responsive individuals who share my goal of moving the city forward in a transparent, collaborative way,” Gloria said.
He also said Jamie Fox will continue to be his chief of staff and Katie Keach will remain his primary media contact. Senior policy adviser Stephen Hill will run Gloria’s council district office, he said.
Several members of Filner’s staff have been informed that they will be staying on during the interim period, Gloria said. Other staffing changes will be announced later, he said.
No formal events are scheduled to mark the transition.