Politics

Mayor vows to fight sexual harassment lawsuit

SAN DIEGO – San Diego Mayor Bob Filner released a statement Monday evening after his former communications director filed a lawsuit accusing him of sexual harassment.

bob-filnerA complaint was filed in San Diego Superior Court on behalf of Irene McCormack Jackson, who was until recently was Filner’s director of communications.

Filner addressed the lawsuit with the following statement:

“I am saddened by the charges that were leveled against me today.  Once due process is allowed to unfold,  I am certain there will be a better understanding of this situation.”

“I remain committed to the people of San Diego and the work that needs to be done.  My dreams and plans for moving this City to new heights are continuing.  I humbly ask that through this vicious storm of controversy, people take a moment and temper their rush to judgment.

“I do not believe these claims are valid.  That is why due process is so important.  I intend to defend myself vigorously and I know that justice will prevail.”

McCormack, a former longtime San Diego journalist, said being introduced as part of Filner’s administration was one of the proudest days of her career. She said she gave up a position as vice president with the Port of San Diego, and accepted a $50,000 pay cut, so she could join what she thought would be a progressive administration.

“However, the past six months turned out to be the worst time of my entire working life,” McCormack said. “I had to work and do my job in an atmosphere where women were viewed by Mayor Filner as sexual objects or stupid idiots. I saw him place his hands where they did not belong on numerous women.”

Filner also demanded kisses and dragged McCormack along in a headlock while making sexual remarks, according to her attorney Gloria Allred, who is known for handling high-profile women’s rights cases.

RELATED STORIES:

Ex-aide sues Filner for sexual harassment

Hotline set up for possible Filner victims

Democrats don’t ask Filner to step down

28 Comments to “Mayor vows to fight sexual harassment lawsuit”

Mike Angelo said:
    July 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM

F$cking idiot. He admitted to the accusations, now says that the claims are valid. You already made your bed Filner, lay in it!

Dumb ass!

Mike Angelo said:
      July 22, 2013 at 5:51 PM

*invalid

Jaba said:
        July 22, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Slow down with your rant, you're too eager to hate.

Phredgt sd said:
    July 22, 2013 at 6:20 PM

What an idiot you are filner. Vicious? That is how you treat women. Get a clue and leave Dodge.

DonHavasu said:
    July 22, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Funny how the DEMS condone sexual harassment from their own, but can you imagine if this was a Republican? Wow, there would be a huge firestorm. All and all people … you hired a Congressman. These guys are ALWAYS perverts and driven to take advantage of females. Did you really expect him to stop this as Mayor of San Diego … really? He just proves females are the weaker sex, they can be intimidated and stay closed mouthed (like they did here) … and the DEMs will not protect women. Where are the feminist now? LOL

<?> said:
    July 22, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Just focus on the important issues of San Diego Bob.

SoCalPastafrian said:
    July 22, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Do San Diego a favor and resign bob. You've been a bumbling mayor even before the sexual harassment allegations. Save us the cost of a recall. https://www.facebook.com/RecallBobFilner

PQConstituent said:
    July 22, 2013 at 8:23 PM

An honorable man would step down, get out of the limelight and then fight these charges from behind the scenes, Bob… to protect those constituents that you CLAIM to serve, Bob…

.But you have chosen, instead Bob, to eschew honor and, in typical megalomaniac fashion, to drag the entire city through the gutter with you.

SHAME ON YOU BOB FILNER! RESIGN!

Jerry Sprunger said:
      July 24, 2013 at 7:20 PM

How much did they pay you to say that?

PQConstituent said:
        July 24, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I'm sorry for dropping to your level, Jerry…but MY GOD you are a moron. This is your level of debate?

Jirry Spronger said:
          July 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM

How much did you make on that one?

Jirry Spronger said:
          July 24, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Where'd you go? Have to call the boss for a strategy change?

Alan Mellor said:
    July 22, 2013 at 8:46 PM

So lets see if Filner is a duck. He kicks out a city attorney out of a council meeting for asking a question. Great show of abuse of power! Quack! His fiancee breaks up with him for numerous reasons, one being him sexting other women! Waddle waddle! He “apologizes” in a video where he admitts that he has degraded women and needs help! Wow, look at that yellow beak!! Filner ur a duck! Now comes the good part. He is going to have a closed session withe the council, in which he will ask for the city to pay his attorney fees. Then will come the subpeanas for everybody. He has 2 ex wifes wait until they start talking! It is going to cost the city of san diego allot of money!! Thank u flucker!!!

Jim La Mesa said:
    July 22, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Please Mr Filner , save the city the embarrassment from the entire nation, who is watching , but I know you will drag your feet and go fighting all the way …. can you not see the majority want you gone … why would you stay when you are no longer wanted ?…… your a nut !

GUEST said:
    July 22, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Am I the only one who watched the campaign adds in the last election ??
    EXACTLY the same allegations were made by some woman
    AND Without my vote over 50% of the voters elected B-F to be Mayor
    I was out voted by people who shrugged the allegations off and picked B-F to be our Mayor
    My thoughts were that I have an unrealistic expectation for City Leaders
    I must say Bob has done a Fine Job so far and Not once made an advance on me
    Carl D. who I voted for has No possibility to step in as Mayor regardless of whatever happens
    I Sure the F^*#" Do NOT want donna fry or kevin f. or "anyone" else to step in and run their agendas as the Strong Mayor subdivision of the city council

Our Mayor should be Voted in = Not filled by any other means = NO TEMP MAYOR

That in its self could be reason for someone to oust the Mayor (regardless of who it is at the time)
    I'm NOT saying Leave Bob F. alone Just let due process run it's course

Why is there Not 1 Single place for anyone to post comments of support for Bob F. ?????.

I can't help but think SOMETHING happened to set this all off,
    Someone being vindictive about their past with Bob F. ???

Let's wait and see what unfolds …… Bob F. has 30 days to respond and it is advisable that he waits and responds properly (What-Ever that means)

Jim La Mesa said:
      July 23, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Thanks Bob …

BradinCA said:
    July 22, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Once I saw that Gloria Allred was representing the first woman to come forward, well, let's face it Filner – you are finished.

Bowler's Desk San Diego News said:
    July 23, 2013 at 3:45 AM

Reblogged this on San Diego News – Bowler's Desk and commented:
    Mayor responds to sexual harassment lawsuit

Sherry Rae said:
    July 23, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Filner can fight the allegations "vigorously" on his own dime ~~ the City should not have to pay for his stupidity!!

PQConstituent said:
    July 23, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Wanna bet he tries to get the City Attorney to represent him? What a freakin weasel BF is.

Jurry Sprunger said:
      July 24, 2013 at 7:21 PM

How much this comment cost your boss?

Guest said:
    July 23, 2013 at 3:46 PM

So many women left to grope, so few days left in office 'sigh'

Spanky said:
      July 24, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Nothin' like a good grope! Ohh yea!!

Spanky said:
        July 24, 2013 at 8:27 PM

'happy sigh' = )

Guest said:
    July 23, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Once again San Diegans elect a winner!!

Spanky said:
      July 24, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Weiner's next!! Ohh yea!!

Timberland Botas Precio said:
    April 5, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Hi! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after going through
    a few of the posts I realized it’s new to me. Anyways, I’m certainly happy I came across it and I’ll be bookmarking it and checking back often!