Beach cleanup nets 2500 pounds of trash

SAN DIEGO – A total of 450 volunteers gathered for a massive beach cleanup this morning which netted 2,500 pounds of trash.

Surfrider, I Love A Clean San Diego, and San Diego Coastkeeper were the three organizations that joined the effort.

trash pickI picked up a lot of alcohol bottles and caps,” said Tiffany Swiderski.  “I found nail clippers and chewing tabacco.”

Volunteers gathered in Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, Oceanside, and  Ocean Beach.  The sites were chosen because of the high concentration of beachgoers and reputations for post-Fourth of July garbage.  This year’s event was sponsored by radio station 102.1 FM and healthy snack company, Clif Bar.

In Ocean Beach, beachgoers participated in the annual marshmallow fight that left behind a sticky mess.

“It’s amazing how much we’ve cleaned up,” said Ashley Churchill.  “The sand was covered in marshmallows.”

Harley Blumenthal took time out to help clean up, and said he had to put a sheet over his head in order to avoid getting hit by marshmallows.

“Hopefully next year we can get more people to plant gardens instead of throw marshmallows,” Blumenthal said.

A total of 195 pounds of recyclable material was collected which would otherwise have been swept into the ocean.

Another cleanup is scheduled for July 6th at the Oceanside Pier from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.

7 Comments to “Beach cleanup nets 2500 pounds of trash”

guest said:
    July 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM

i wish we could do some real demo graphics on this..age groups, ethnic nationality, etc..

get a look/feel for people's moral compass, sense of self & relation to world.
    give us some stats for general generalizations.

MRC said:
    July 6, 2013 at 8:58 AM

"Marshmallows" is the correct spelling.

pink trampoline said:
    July 8, 2013 at 8:03 AM

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something that I think I would never understand.

It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post,
    I will try to get the hang of it!

accountants geelong said:
    July 10, 2013 at 8:05 AM

I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your blogs really nice,
    keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back down the road. All the best

accountant bendigo said:
    July 19, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Hello to all, how is all, I think every one is getting
    more from this site, and your views are nice designed for new viewers.

trampoline fitness benefits said:
    August 1, 2013 at 2:24 PM

You always seem to come across inferior sites, but We were pleased to locate the one you have.
    Great work.