Edison files to shut down San Onofre reactors

SAN ONOFRE, Calif. — Southern California Edison announced Thursday that it has taken the formal administrative step necessary to retire the two reactors at the troubled San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station.

The majority owner and operator of the plant said it filed a Certification of Permanent Cessation of Power Operations with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission Wednesday.

Edison announced last week that it would shutter the facility, which has been idle since January 2012 following a small, non-injury leak in one of the units. The other had been undergoing maintenance at the time.

An investigation determined that vibrations caused faster than expected deterioration in steam generator tubes. New generators had been installed in 2009 and 2010.

After a plan to restart the unit where the leak did not occur stalled before the NRC, Edison officials announced they would retire the reactors rather than impose further uncertainties on customers, investors and the region’s energy market.

Decommissioning is expected to take many years, according to the utility.

“Safety will remain our top priority as we transition to the decommissioning process,” SCE Senior Vice President and Chief Nuclear Officer Pete Dietrich said. “We take very seriously our obligation to protect the health and safety of the public and our employees as we take the regulatory and planning steps to decommission San Onofre.”

Dietrich said the NRC will continue to provide regulatory oversight of San Onofre.

Management will draw upon the expertise of staff who managed the decommissioning of Unit 1 at San Onofre, which ceased operation in 1992, he said.

San Diego Gas & Electric owns 20 percent of the plant and received 20 percent of its power when it was operational.

SDG&E said earlier this week that, thanks to last year’s opening of the Sunrise Powerlink transmission line in the East County, enough power should be available this summer in its service areas of San Diego and southern Orange counties.

However, utility officials said customers should be prepared to take conservation measures if any transmission lines are shut down by wildfires or other problems.

11 Comments to “Edison files to shut down San Onofre reactors”

Joe Holtzman said:
    June 13, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Edison gamed the system by telling the MRC the new generators were like for like. They were significantly different. Edison executives knew in 2005 the designs of the new generators were bad.

But instead of fixing Edison installed defective equipment– unacceptable!

Edison’s duplicity knows no bounds !

Bowler's Desk San Diego News said:
    June 14, 2013 at 4:06 AM

Reblogged this on San Diego News – Bowler's Desk and commented:
    Edison files to shut down San Onofre reactors

Derrick said:
    June 15, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Hello there! This post couldn’t be written much better! Going through this article reminds me of my previous roommate! He constantly kept preaching about this. I will forward this article to him. Fairly certain he’s going to have a
    great read. I appreciate you for sharing!

Password Cracker Rar said:
    June 17, 2013 at 5:13 PM

This program is intended to recover lost passwords for RAR/WinRAR
    archives of versions 2.xx and 3.xx. http://www.passwordtowinrar.
    tk The free professional solution for recovering lost passwords to RAR and
    WinRAR archives.

It is the best time to make some plans for the long run and it’s time to be happy. I’ve learn this submit and if I may just I desire to counsel you some fascinating issues or suggestions.
    Maybe you could write next articles relating to this article.
    I wish to read more things approximately it!

hostgator coupons said:
    June 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Hello! I know this is somewhat off-topic however I had to ask.
    Does operating a well-established website such as yours require a large amount of work?
    I am brand new to running a blog however I do write in my
    diary daily. I’d like to start a blog so I can share my experience and views online. Please let me know if you have any recommendations or tips for brand new aspiring bloggers. Thankyou!

Maryann said:
    June 20, 2013 at 8:18 AM

certainly like your web-site however you have to take a look at
    the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Many
    of them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding
    it very troublesome to inform the truth however I’ll surely come again again.

rise jeans said:
    June 23, 2013 at 8:29 AM

It’s genuinely very difficult in this active life to listen news on Television, therefore I simply use world wide web for that purpose, and get the hottest news.

lampsontew.com said:
    June 25, 2013 at 1:56 AM

I’m excited to uncover this site. I want to to thank you for your time just for this fantastic read!! I definitely really liked every bit of it and I have you saved to fav to check out new things on your website.

Winifred said:
    October 22, 2013 at 8:49 AM

You’ve made some decent points there. I checked on the net to learn more about the issue
    and found most people will go along with your views on this web site.

dietary supplements said:
    March 6, 2014 at 5:02 AM

This could be a wonderful way to make certain your child’s healthful advancement.
    Aminoacids usually are an essential part of almost all living creatures, specifically since architectural different parts of shape cells for instance
    muscles, hair, bovine collagen, and many more, in addition to being nutrients as
    well as weight lifting supplements. In other phrases, a
    excellent dietary supplement for the hair does not only help in its growth, it promotes overall
    well being and protection of the scalp as effectively.