Ex-Charger Shawne Merriman hospitalized
LOS ANGELES — Retired San Diego Charger and NFL Pro Bowl linebacker Shawne Merriman, 29, was rushed to a hospital Sunday night after overdosing on alcohol and drugs at a Hollywood club, sources told the Los Angeles Times.
Merriman overdosed on a combination of alcohol and an unspecified drug, unidentified sources with knowledge of the case told the Los Angeles Times. The sources said Merriman was expected to recover.
Merriman was taken from The Colony nightclub in the 1700 block of N. Cahuenga Boulevard to Cedars Sinai Medical Center around 9:30 p.m., according to law enforcement sources familiar with the incident.
Merriman — nicknamed “Lights Out” in high school after he rendered four opposing players unconscious — announced his retirement from the NFL in March. He was drafted 12th overall by the Chargers in the 2005 NFL Draft and remained with the team until 2010, when he was picked up by the Buffalo Bills.
He was honored as the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2005 but the later part of his career was plagued with minimal play due to injuries.
Merriman announced his retirement from the National Football League in March on his website.
“My retirement from the game I love so much and from the game that has brought me so many opportunities on and off the field has been decided with great thought for my future on and off of the field,” Merriman wrote at the time”
“I retire today not because I don’t feel I can go out there and still play the game at a very high level, I am retiring because I want to retire on my own terms and leave while I know I can still physically play the game. I am stepping back to pursue other great opportunities that have been afforded me.”