Accused freeway gunman admits punching jailers
Enrique Ayon, 26, faces trial Aug. 13 in connection with the freeway shooting. He faces charges of attempted murder, shooting at an occupied vehicle and other counts.
In a hearing before Judge Joan Weber Monday, Ayon pleaded guilty to six felony battery charges for assaulting jail deputies in February, March and June of last year.
On Oct. 3, 2011, Ayon allegedly crashed his Chevrolet Malibu through a security gate near the U.S.-Mexico border a day before starting to shoot at motorists on northbound 805 in National City.
Marcus Eagles testified at a preliminary hearing that he was driving north on I-805 near Plaza Boulevard about 10:15 a.m. when the defendant fired at him.
Eagles said Ayon, who was driving next to him, pointed a gun at him and fired.
Eagles said he found a bullet hole in the rear door on the driver’s side door after pulling onto the shoulder of the freeway.
Shortly afterward, Ayon allegedly wounded 26-year-old Demitrous Miller in thigh in an attack near Mesa College Drive in Serra Mesa.
Ayon also is accused of firing a shot near Interstate 805 and state Route 163. A few minutes later, he allegedly fired two shots into an ambulance on Interstate 5 near Del Mar.
Ayon was arrested the next day in Los Angeles County. He faces at least 63 years to life in prison if convicted, said Deputy District Attorney Chris Moon.