Military explosive found on beach

SAN DIEGO – A military explosive device was found Sunday afternoon on Cardiff State Beach, leading to evacuation of a stretch of beach, the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department said.

shoresThe explosive device was discovered at about 1:10 p.m. by a beachgoer, who picked it up and took it to lifeguards, the Sheriff’s Department said.

Lifeguards immediately called sheriff’s deputies, who ordered the evacuation and called for the arson-bomb squad. The squad took the device away for disposal, and the evacuation was lifted after two hours.

Sheriff’s bomb technicians were unable to determine exactly what kind  of explosive device it was, but they said it appeared to be military ordinance.

10 Comments to “Military explosive found on beach”

Bowler's Desk San Diego News said:
    April 22, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Reblogged this on San Diego News – Bowler's Desk and commented:
    Military explosive found on beach

Edward said:
    April 22, 2013 at 9:35 AM

FYI – the last word should be "ordnance" not "ordinance"

Rob said:
      April 24, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Thanks for pointing that out. Nothing bugs me more than "reporters" that can't spell.!

wilson said:
    April 23, 2013 at 7:44 AM

I BUY ALMOST EVERYTHING EXCEPT FOOD AND CLOTHING FROM ONLINE AUCTIONS MOST PEOPLE AREN’T AWARE OF THE ALMOST UNBELIEVABLE DEALS THAT THEY CAN GET FROM ONLINE AUCTION SITES THE SITE THAT HAS THE BEST DEALS IS savebangCoM

I checked with the BBB and was told that it is all legit.How they can sell gift cards, laptops,
    cameras, and all kinds of goodies that we all want for 50-90% off, I don’t know
    I do know that I bought my son an ipad there for less than $100 and my husband a $250 Low gift

cards for 48Why would I even think about shopping anyþlace else?

Lenny Marshman, II said:
    April 23, 2013 at 8:40 AM

That individual was darn lucky to still have his/her limbs. I work at a military installation and anyone who goes down-range MUST take an annual range safety class. And the key topic is: "If you don't know what it is…do NOT, under any circumstances, touch it". Just like supposedly "empty guns", many are maimed or killed by alleged UXO (un-exploded ordnance).

Anaconda Vet said:
    April 23, 2013 at 9:12 AM

As a vet of multiple tours in both Afghanistan and Iraq, I'd say the brain-injured idiot who actually picked it up and carried to the lifeguard station should count their friggn lucky stars they didn't end up getting carried off the beach in an egg-cup.. A piece of UXO that's been laying in 60-degree salt water off the coast of San Diego for who knows how long, there's no telling how stable it would've been.. I'd definitely have to second Lenny Marshman's assessment, if you don't know what it is, DON'T TOUCH IT.. Because if it smells like an explosive, looks like an explosive, chances are it probably IS, especially that close to the biggest naval base on the West coast.. I would guess the old saying "God has mercy on idiots" would apply here..

Sparkee1968 said:
      April 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Your sense of superiority is only surpassed by your obvious ignorance. You have no idea what this item may have looked (smellled???) like. I think it is likely this "idiot" was looking out for the environment and the others on the beach. Rather than being criticized, I think he should be commended.

ew4rwef said:
      April 23, 2013 at 5:42 PM

we need to ban all the militaries weapons and explosives they arent responsible enough

bill t said:
      April 24, 2013 at 7:26 AM

I get what you're saying, but unfortunately the average person doesn't have the training to understand how unstable explosives, particularly olde explosives, can be.