Toddler bit by rattlesnake

rattlesnakeENCINITAS, Calif. — A rattlesnake bit a toddler in Encinitas late Wednesday afternoon, sending the tot to a hospital.

The viper strike in the 300 block of Chapalita Drive was reported shortly after 4:30 p.m., a NorthComm dispatcher said.

Medics airlifted the 14-month-old victim to Children’s Hospital in San Diego.

The child’s condition was unclear, nor was it known how the toddler came across the snake, which was described as a “baby” rattler, sheriff’s Lt. Mario Zermeno said.

6 comments

  • rtg

    Poor little thing! I've heard that baby rattlers are worse than the adults because they can't regulate how much venom they inject. I sure this little one survives.

    • MrFrost

      Thanks for you diligence (M)lyricalpie , we were all so concerned about the poor child that the tragically horrific misspelling went unnoticed.

      You've made the world a safer place young Padawan.

  • Kristin

    Through sharing this story with many, we discovered good neighbors of ours are good friends of the family that this happened to. They said the babe was in the hospital for 2 days and he survived!! Yeah! I know many readers were anxious to know follow up. Salud!

Comments are closed.


Related Stories