Local News

Man accused of cooking wife hospitalized

VISTA, Calif. — An man accused dismembering his wife and cooking her body parts has been hospitalized, forcing court officials to postpone a preliminary hearing Tuesday.

Frederick Hengl, 68, is accused in the death of his spouse of 34 years, Anna Faris. The 73-year-old woman was in the advanced stages of Alzheimer’s disease when she died, said Hengl’s attorney, Debby Kirkwood.

Frederick Hengl

An Oceanside man allegedly dismembered his wife and was in the process of cooking her remains when police officers responded to the couple’s home. (11-21-2012)

Kirkwood said Hengl has been very sick and lost his will to live since his “bride” died. He has been hospitalized for the past few days at Tri-City Hospital.

The attorney said Hengl quit his job in February 2012 to take care of Faris full-time.

“He was very sad after she died,” Kirkwood said, telling reporters that Hengl can’t walk and has lost weight — down to 110 pounds — since his wife died.

At Hengl’s arraignment, Deputy District Attorney Kate Flaherty said police went to the couple’s home on North Ditmar Street last Nov. 16 after neighbors complained of a powerful foul odor coming from the residence.

Officers at the scene saw what they thought was meat cooking on the stove, Flaherty said.

After contacting Hengl at a nearby bar, officers realized that he was in the process of dismembering his wife’s body, the prosecutor said.

Officers found Faris’ head in the freezer wrapped in a bag, according to Flaherty.

In the bathroom, officers found what appeared to be a work area, with a saw and boning knife and other cutting instruments, the prosecutor said.

A bag with pieces of bone that had been freshly cut was also found in the home, according to Flaherty.

Neighbors said they had not seen the victim in about a month and heard what sounded like a power saw coming from the residence in early November.

Whenever a preliminary hearing is scheduled, Hengl will claim that he didn’t kill his wife and that she died of natural causes, Kirkwood said.

The defendant is charged with murder, cruelty to an elder and committing an unlawful act with human remains. He faces 25 years to life in prison if convicted.

VIEW & ADD COMMENTS

6 Comments to “Man accused of cooking wife hospitalized”

    miguelgsaucedo said:
    April 2, 2013 at 12:59 PM

    ewwww

    Mark W said:
    April 2, 2013 at 4:05 PM

    Sooo people are feeling sorry for him because his wife died but HE ATE HER??? Nasty old man should be in prison.

    Guest said:
    April 2, 2013 at 4:47 PM

    Noooo even I wouldn't say what I am thinking.

    Guest said:
    April 2, 2013 at 8:05 PM

    Wow

    Esco said:
    April 2, 2013 at 8:16 PM

    I'd add a "Kiss the Cook" apron to his jail outfit..

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Advertisement

Advertisement