2 killed, 2 wounded in Oceanside park

OCEANSIDE, Calif. – Police were investigating a shooting that killed two teenagers and seriously injured two other teens in an Oceanside park Wednesday evening.

Libby Park murders

Police investigate a shooting at Libby Park that killed 2 teens and wounded 2 others.

The shooting was reported at Libby Lake Park around 8:50 p.m., and officers were searching for the suspected gunmen, police said.

Several people ran from the scene and possibly drove away in a dark grey Toyota Tacoma with tinted windows, an Oceanside police lieutenant said.

Two teenagers were rushed by ambulance to Palomar Hospital, while the other two died in the park.

All of the victims were under the age of 18, according to the lieutenant. Their names were being withheld until their families could be notified. No other details were immediately released.

A teenage couple was killed in the park in May 2011. Four gang members were charged in that murder. Prosecutors said the killings were the result of a turf war over the park involving rival gangs. Neither of the victims in that shooting were involved in gangs, investigators said.

57 Comments to “2 killed, 2 wounded in Oceanside park”

SithLord said:
    March 13, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Used to patrol this area and through Vista and Escondido and was always amazed at how many young kids would be out late. like 8years and up. Sad.

Brown said:
    March 14, 2013 at 12:22 AM

It's time parents start raising there kids better and stop letting them be out so late.What are teenagers doing at a park around those hours? Nothing good makes me scared to even take my son to a darn park now and days.

speechless said:
      March 14, 2013 at 8:08 PM

dont you dare say that. my aunt is an amazing woman and she is a better parent than you will ever be. you offended not only me but my family. God bless you. person that doesnt know shit!

Brown said:
        March 14, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I am talking about every kid not just those involved. Parks are closed at that time and I wouldn't let my son go out that late if we lived in that neighbor hood. I'm not say she is a bad parent who didn't care I'm saying we have to work harder as parents everyone including me to prevent this from happening. Kids should be allowed to enjoy parks and be there as long as they want but when killings happen multiple time at a park is when I put my foot down and demand my son to not step foot in that park.if your aunt lost someone I am truly sorry and I don't think she is a bad mother I'm upset that the parents of the kids who did it were allowed to be there. Idk if I'm making it sound wrong I mean no disrespect that's just want I believe I would do.

lopezstar said:
        March 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I am so sorry speechless for your aunts loss and your families loss. My heart goes out to you guys. I hope people give you and your family the respect of letting you guys mourn and heal and that they keep there insensitive oppinions to themselves.

Brown said:
          March 15, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I'm sorry I feel like everything came out wrong.Lopezstar you are right these families don't need to hear this right now. Last night I prayed for a sign and I had a nightmare this is my last post because I Hirt people without meaning to do it.

Art said:
    March 14, 2013 at 12:32 AM

You know who stuff like this doesn't happen to?? Kids who are home and not out late at a park that his known for violence.. parents are stupid and are to blame.

S Newell said:
      March 14, 2013 at 7:19 PM

The society had made provisions where a child can talk to their parents crazy and get away with it and you can't beat their ass or nothing.

speechless said:
      March 14, 2013 at 8:09 PM

dont blame parents when you dont know the situation moron

WeWillMissYou.. said:
    March 14, 2013 at 1:01 AM

my friends are gone..

Jackie said:
      March 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM

My prayers are with you and all the other friends and family memebers.

victoria aponte said:
      March 14, 2013 at 7:49 PM

im sorry this happend to u we will pray for them im so very very sorry

Sad parent ;( said:
      March 15, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I'm sorry your friends are gone, my son was friends with one of those kids and he's really heartbroken about it. Prayers to you and everyone who are shocked by this tragic shooting.

lopezstar said:
    March 14, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Its time people stop blaming parents for everything that occurs. Kids have a mind of their own and every house has windows to jump out of. You can raise children to the best of your abilities and teach them morals and respect and right from wrong and at the end of the night when you close your eyes or when they walk out that door you have NO CONTROL! Before you go saying I am probably related or know them let me also clear this up I don't. I am just sick and tired of finger pointing and people talking bad about situations that are sad. You don’t think these families are sad enough? Then they gotta see people talking bad about them in newspapers. Grow up people and have some sympathy for the situation. Let these poor families mourn the loss of their family. Keep your negative comments to yourself. Until you lose a child who are you to judge someone's parenting?

oceanside said:
      March 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I grew up in that neighborhood. It IS uninvolved parenting. Hispanic parents can be very permissive. Also, most don’t realize their involvement and proactiveness can make a difference. I saw parents who knew where their children were at all times and the ones who let their kids hang out. I saw the difference in how those kids turned out.

Lopes said:
        March 14, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I agree with you

lopezstar said:
        March 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I am hispanic and a parent of two amazing girls. My kids are my world. Everything I do is for them. I hope that they take everything I have taught them and do well. Its a scary world. I think in every neighborhood and in every race you have parents who just shouldnt be parents. How do you know these parents were one of them? All I am saying is right now is not the time to be dogging the parents, the kids, or their families. Let them mourn the loss of there kids/family. They are going to see these comments. Part of parenting is also teaching our children compassion. We need to have some compassion for these families and not judge.

Axlerod said:
          March 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM

No–maybe judging would have kept these kids alive.

lopezstar said:
            March 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Again, how do you know the kids were troubled? Cause they live in that neiborhood? What would judging have done to keep them alive?

Axlerod said:
        March 14, 2013 at 12:01 PM

To deny that there isn't a possible cultural connection to this is to stay ignorant. Political correctness will just get more kids hurt.

Shut down the park–it's a dangerous place. The neighborhood has proven that it cannot monitor its youth. This is HISTORICALLY A DANGEROUS AREA! This is an ADULT PROBLEM of bad parenting.

Build A POLICE STATION in the park. You don't like it? LEAVE.

lopezstar said:
          March 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I am not ignorant at all. Are you saying that other races do not have these issues? To me your comment is ignorant and borderline racist. You have a right to your viewpoints and I agree that the Police need to do more….key word is POLICE.Why are you not dogging them for not making the streets safer? As far as it being the ADULT PROBLEM as you put it….I hope you do not ever have children that get into trouble cause god forbid this occurs you will be the ADULT PROBLEM and then I'm sure you will find excuses for their actions.

vnm said:
    March 14, 2013 at 7:55 AM

That's just the generation of teenagers. Teens are going to do what they want regardless, they have their own minds and at this point they know right from wrong. The fact that they could even get their hands on a gun is ridiculous. That's what we should be focused on here. If it weren't for the gun, this would have never happened. It's terrible.

Brandie said:
      March 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Your an idiot…. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. If these teenagers decided to get drunk and drive a car and killed someone would you be blaming the car? Criminals will get guns regardless. There is no way to stop someone who wants get a gun!

Axlerod said:
      March 14, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Moronic response.

jomo said:
      March 14, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Don't blame it on guns! Wow – so quick to jump to conclusions! How about a variety of factors including raising kids to know what's right from wrong. If kids are raised properly with good examples (their parents), there is much less likely of a chance for this!

JRobertD said:
    March 14, 2013 at 8:07 AM

It is not just poor parenting, it is a sad society that we live in. Kids have always sneaked out, gone without permission, gone under false intentions etc to party and hang out, to get into trouble- not always is it a poor parenting issue. While true, the vast majority of the problems with youth stem from poor parenting (and a cycle of poor parenting) the whole culture of the United States is in a deep state of decay. Illustrating this point look at what and who are revered, who are admired, who are held up, who our youth emulate- it is not the scientists, the doctors, the philosophers, the poets, the intellectual minds of engineers and inventors and educators- quit the opposite, vapid movie and TV actors (no they are not stars), inarticulate athletes, ghetto gang image worshiping recording artists etc ad nauseum.

Jay said:
      March 14, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Completely agree!!! I almost don't want to have children of my own because I am terrified of the sad state our world is coming to in which children are no longer safe at parks or schools. Where will it go from here?

guest said:
    March 14, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I'm sorry lopezstar but if you teach children morals and respect they do not behave in this manner. Gangbangers breed gangbangers. This is learned behavior.

Jackie said:
      March 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Very worng, insensitive and down right naive. I'm not telling you my life story, howver, I had a brother that passed away at the age of 15. We grew up in a nice neighborhood, then later relocated to an even better middle class community in North County..away from gangs, violence, drugs…or at least visible ones. Kids will do what kids will do. We werent raised by perfect parents yet they disciplined us to the best of their knowledge and power. Very hardworking and gave us more than we needed. Yet, my brother sought out different kinds of attention, so he became a gang memeber at 14, and spiralled down from there. My parents were NOT gangmembers and neither were any of us (his brothers/sisters). We were told he was in a gang and were very, I mean VERY involved with him and tried our hardest to keep him on a straight path. We are a very united family…I still have unexplained answers as to why he went that route. You must think you have the right answer, stating so boldly. Dont be naive, you look like an idiot. God bless your life.

lopezstar said:
        March 14, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Very well put Jackie and I am so glad you wrote some of your story. I am passionate about this as I have a similar story and its personal when I here them say its all the parents cause its not always the case. For some it is and for some it isnt. Great post thank you for sharing!

JRobertD said:
      March 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM

That is not always true. There are many stories of people making something of themselves, regardless of the situation in which they find themselves. While true, socio-economic indicators have a major influence in the outcome of a person, so does education and culture. We as a country have a failing education system and a corrupt legal system that preys on the output of the socio economic disadvantaged. Our entire legal system is benefiting from the cycle of poverty and crime, there is zero motivation to change it.

guest said:
    March 14, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Gangs should be classified as domestic terrorist and hunted down like the Taliban.

Kerry R said:
    March 14, 2013 at 9:19 AM

nothing against cops, but come on! how about instead of sitting on the 76 catching speeders how about you patrol gang ares like your freaking sharks!!! do some real good for the city after all were the ones paying you

Guest said:
      March 14, 2013 at 9:26 AM

There's no money to be made arresting criminals. And speeder's usually don't shoot. Just the way it is.

Lopes said:
    March 14, 2013 at 9:23 AM

At the end of the day there are things parents can do to prevent this. If you know your kids are hanging out with the wrong kids from that hood then as a parent I would do my best to move my child as far as I can. Get them involved in sports etc you never just give up because they sneak out if that's the case put bars on the windows take there phones away. Only parents really know there children and what they are capable of doing. There must of been signs of them misbehaving leading to this.

lopezstar said:
      March 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM

How do you know these kids were misbehaving? I agree with you on keeping them busy and putting them in sports. It is our job as parents to do everything in our power to lead our children down them right path. You are absolutely right that you should never give up on your children. One can do all of those things and a child can still end up in this lifestyle. In the end, it is up to the children and what they choose to do. You can move them anywhere and gangs and this lifestyle will always be there. Again, its up to the person within. All this talk about these kids but where does it say they were misbehaving or a part of a gang? Unfortunitely you can be at a movie theatre and get killed these days.

Lopes said:
        March 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I see your point I'm Hispanic and my parent were always strict. I new better then to ask to have or go to sleep overs.And if I did have a sleep over at my house they had to know the person. They always new where I was at and had me playing sports all year long school after school for travel teams etc. I never had time to just be out at night nothing nothing.when I did go out to parties my brothers or sister had to come it used to make me mad but I know why they did it now. I look at my life and I thank them for always being there for me. I remember my mom always being at all my games never missed one she new all my coaches. She checked my grade and would reward me for them. Don't get me wrong I did sneak out and go to parties but she was up all night waiting for me and when I did come home it wasn't pretty. I know some Hispanic parents don't try as hard as they should because I see my cousins and how they let there kids just come and go as they please . Smoke weed, party bring girls home and what not I wasn't allowed to hang out with them. And that kept me out of trouble because they are in and out of prison now .. The things I wrote are to those parents that don't do what they should be doing as parents. Instead of coming home and drinking a bear how about asking them about school or going to the gym with you kid something..

Lopes said:
          March 14, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I ment beer

lopezstar said:
          March 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I agree with you. Your parents did the right thing with you. I am doing that with mine as well and I will fight till the end for them. In the end they have to fight for themselves. Your right in regards to the parents who do not do enough. Very well put :)

Lopes said:
            March 14, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I feel bad that those parents had to loose they're children it's the worse thing that could ever happen to a person to our live your child. I pray that those kids who are responsible for this pain get caught soon and if your a parent of one of those kids don't teach them to run away from the law. Teach them a real lesson how to be a real man a pay for the crime they did…I don't even want to think about how it feels to loose my baby..

Action Not Words said:
    March 14, 2013 at 10:49 AM

It's parenting of this generation, its the community, its us posting here. Everyone here has valid points but what are each of us doing about it to change what is going on? Me I called the three High Schools, the four Jr. High Schools, the District office, SOS, and the City office to get the ball rolling for a Peace Fest and Change in Oceanside. I have marched for muder victims in the past and I will march or do whatever I have to do to have this crazyness to stop. We need to be watching each others children and stop saying "my child wouldn't do that" yes the would and they do. Contact Steve Lombard at the Oceanside school district office steve.lombard@oside.ca and let him know we want a peace fest and assistance in creating programs for our community.

Jackie said:
      March 14, 2013 at 1:11 PM

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything."-Albert Einstein

Phuqtard said:
      March 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Oh that's right! Make a lot of phone calls to a bunch of nobody's and march in a parade no one pay's attention to…It's liberals like you that have created this society with no consequences. You people need to mind your own business and let parents raise their families as they see fit. If they don't do a good job there are consequences…If the kids do something wrong, there are consequences. Regan said it best…" We need to get back to the rational that if an individual breaks the law, he or she is to take responsibility (The individual) not society as a whole" In short…look after yourself and your family, not everyone else s. It's none of your business.

BB512 said:
    March 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I moved from California to oregon for reasons you're all talking about. Sure, I may not make six figures anymore but I can sleep at night not worrying that my kids will get taken out senselessly. 10 years now in a medium sized oregon town with thousands of teens and not one teen killed violently. Zero.It was a tough move but ten years later I'm thankful for it. My advice? If violence gets too close to home, move the home, very far from the violence.

Punisher said:
    March 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Animal control in full effect. Keep it up!

S Newell said:
    March 14, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Okay just be careful because after 5 years old and younger, kids in Oceanside have the addasity to tell grown ups what to do, how to get there, and where to go… so it's not only on the parents, children do what they want to do too. Stop blaming the parents.

Lopes said:
      March 14, 2013 at 7:23 PM

If a 5 year old is telling you want to do then there's the problem it's time for an ass whooping. There is no reason why a 5 year old is tell you what to do and if you allow it then shame on you.

SithLord said:
    March 14, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Lets face it. When 8-10-11-12 year old kids are out past 10- 11 o'clock cruising the streets is a problem. And as a parent it is MY RESPONSABILIY to guide them to make the right choices. This neiborhood is out of control. The police can only do so much its the commnity as a hole that needs to step up and turn these thugs in because those young kids will become victims or suspects. FACT!

Brown said:
      March 14, 2013 at 10:22 PM

That's exactly what I been trying to say its like you where in my head lol. I just don't want to see this happen again. I feel like I made someone upset in my last post but i didn't mean to at all. I want to be able to take my son to a park and feel that he will be safe no matter what time it is. Maybe ill buy a play set thing for him and his friends can just come over so I feel safe. I'm even scared to let my husband go across to five star bc he is black and I'm Hispanic . Tonight I will pray for the families who lost there babies and for this whole gang thing to end. Good night everyone be safe

Dusty said:
    March 15, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Hey there! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with SEO? I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good results. If you know of any please share. Thanks!

KNM said:
    March 15, 2013 at 10:00 AM

You're NOT going to anything with words and Posts, do actions before your kids loose their lifes! So NOW!

truejustice said:
    March 16, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Let me help the yellow journalists who refuse to report the truth. The worthless Suspooks looks like Obama' sons in Hoodies caring Skittles and Purple Drank. They communicate using an Obama phones, collect food stamps and each has 4 little convicts in training from 4 Baby Momma Ho-es, each on welfare in public housing. The can be found on the corner drinking the free malt 40s they lifted from the 7-11 after another pity party lib idiot judge releases them on no bail.

jesuseesu said:
      March 19, 2013 at 4:26 AM

ignorant, racist people like you are a part of why the world is messed up. Remember Jesus and judgement day.

Guest said:
    March 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM

you guys really need to shut the fuck up you dnt know them so fuck off you wouldnt think the same if it was someone close to you its none of your fucking business so keep your negative comments to yourself

rest in paridise melanie & edgar <3

FSM said:
    March 19, 2013 at 5:35 PM

So was nenne ich eine au?ergew?hnlich interessante Seite mit richtig guten Inhalten und ansprechendem Design – weiter so!

lilia garcia said:
    April 3, 2013 at 7:12 PM

go to work stop negative comments to yourself let God to do his job crazy people.

Branden said:
    April 12, 2013 at 7:22 AM

excellent issues altogether, you just won a new reader. What may you recommend in regards to your post that you made some days in the past? Any certain?