Mom says Victoria’s Secret OK for 9-year-old girl

SAN DIEGO – A San Diego mom’s blog posting about buying her 9-year-old daughter underwear from Victoria’s Secret has sparked a nationwide debate.

Jenny Erikson, mom blogger“Conservative” mom blogger Jenny Erikson lives in Sabre Springs has two girls, ages 4 and 9, and writes about all things real moms go through.

“I think it’s funny that I’ve been doing this for several years and writing about a lot of hard hitting issues and now everyone wants to talk about panties with me,” Erikson said.  “People think that I said ‘I buy my 9-year-old panties at Victoria’s Secret’ which is not true.”

The blog post focused on buying Victoria’s Secret undergarments for tweens and how the new PINK line targets a younger age group.

Erikson wrote specifically about her 9-year-old daughter and where to go when your little girl gets to the “in between” age.

“Victoria’s Secret is a viable source…where do you buy underwear? The underwear store!” she said.

But according to comments, other moms were outraged calling it totally inappropriate, saying it’s still too sexy.

“I’m sorry, but teens and middle schoolers have no business shopping in a women’s lingerie store,” one woman posted.

Not all women agreed that it was inappropriate.

“Their boy shorts are amazing for little kids. If I ever have a daughter I wouldn’t mind her shopping there,” said another woman.

Another popular San Diego mom blogger Mary Burt-Godwin of the “Mama-Mary Show” said she can sympathizes with the Erikson’s online attack and that bloggers pick hot topics and ones that will get people clicking and commenting.

“I think it was perfect – I think this woman’s genius,” Burt-Godwin said.

16 Comments to “Mom says Victoria’s Secret OK for 9-year-old girl”

SteelRain said:
    March 6, 2013 at 11:55 PM

These haters haven't been to Victorias Secret. They only see sex, what losers

Corrin said:
    March 7, 2013 at 5:19 AM

That's kind of what VS sells. Their commercials are geared to make you want to buy their sexy stuff, not the plain jane stuff.

Liz said:
    March 7, 2013 at 5:42 AM

As a women I can say these ladies are ridiculous, they should be worried about whats going on in their own children's lives not what this women blogs about. Victoria secret is no Fredrick's of Hollywood! they need to get over themselves

Kim said:
    March 7, 2013 at 6:47 AM

As long as she isn't buying thongs for her 9-year old I don't see a problem. Victoria's Secrets undergarments hold up. Recently I was in Walmart with my teenage daughter looking for panties and she found some really cute thongs. Too bad they were a size 4T. Do I like the fact that my 15 year old wants to wear thongs? NO!! When I asked her why she wanted to wear them she told me to feel pretty. I asked her if that was all she wanted to feel. She told me yes. She isn't dating anybody. She doesn't have gym class. She wants to wear them for herself. I don't wear them. I don't enjoy them. She loves them. Does that make me a bad mom for letting her wear them? I don't think so. Every couple of years she changes her mind about the kind of panties she wants to wear.

Doug K said:
    March 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Anyone worried about what kind of underwear someone else's children wear sounds like a pedophile to begin with. Lighten up Francis.

Abigail said:
    March 7, 2013 at 1:04 PM

this is NOT news. fox5 should be better than this crap.

Fred said:
    March 7, 2013 at 1:05 PM

She can use the panties when she is a streetwalker a few years down the road. LOL

Jim said:
    March 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Are you serious? This is news? And why do people care what brand of underwear kids are wearing, especially if they're not your children. If I could afford it, all my kids would be wearing fancy underpants.

gulfdice.com said:
    March 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Visit MartRing.com where everyday is a Blackfriday. Clearnance deals from top retailers. MartRing.com is the place to find deal posted which are refreshed every hour.

jkvm said:
    March 13, 2013 at 3:18 PM

okay…apparently you moms have amnesia of your high school and middle school days. What young girl not dating anybody wants to shop at VS? If they didn't have anybody to impress, they wouldn't be wanting those kinds of underwear. You moms are lost in the sauce about your daughters' personal lives and have lost any sense of responsibility in being a part of their healthy development. Instead of trying to be the "cool" mom who lets their daughter do what they want, trying being a MOM and guide them into safer and healthier choices.

Dani said:
      March 15, 2013 at 6:23 AM

Because buying them ugly underwear will stop them from having sex? You're an idiot.

There is something to be said for comfortable underwear and this mom shouldn't buy it for her kid because it's a certain brand?! If you have the means, why not give your kids the best quality products?

kmberche said:
    March 24, 2013 at 5:18 PM

As a pediatrician I see the underwear that girls really wear. Here's my response, entitled, "Why Do Girls Wear Thong Underwear?": http://childrensmd.org/browse-by-age-group/why-do

Old Girls said:
    July 18, 2013 at 3:29 AM

Hi. I am wondering if you may be interested in doing a link swap?

I see your blog: http://fox5sandiego.com/2013/03/06/mom-says-victo… and my blog are centered around the same topic.

I’d love to swap links or perhaps guest author a write-up for you. Here is my personal e-mail: doreenreis@gmx.net. Please make sure to contact me if you’re even slightly interested.

Many thanks.