Bus driver passes out on freeway

SAN DIEGO — A bus driver may have lost consciousness at the wheel when he lost control of his vehicle on a freeway in Mission Valley Sunday night, investigators said.

The bus, which was not carrying any passengers, veered off of Interstate 8 west of Interstate 805 at about 11:15 p.m. The bus went off of the right shoulder of the freeway, careened through a muddy ditch and came to a stop blocking the Texas Street offramp of the freeway.

When paramedics arrived, the driver was unconscious in the driver’s seat. They immediately began CPR, which they continued on the drive to the hospital.

The man’s condition was not immediately known.

22 Comments to “Bus driver passes out on freeway”

Michelle Victor said:
    February 25, 2013 at 8:54 AM

The driver died of a massive heart-attack. RIP Ray.

Connie said:
      February 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM

dont be mad at Mark W.. my reaction was the same.. it did sound rude not knowing u know the guy. Thanks for letting us know Michelle. & Thank You Mark W for the drivers back up in case you were right…RIP Driver. Our Sympathy to the Family

Michelle Victor said:
        February 26, 2013 at 9:27 AM

@ Connie, you sound like you know Mark, and are therefore defending his comment. OBVIOUSLY I Knew RAY, cause I said "RIP RAY"; there's his name. Mark's comment was extremely offensive due to the nature of him not caring about the person—passing him off as a mere story, as if I blew the end of a Movie for him. I don't give a "D" about the story, I give a "D" about the Driver, who was a friend and a co-worker for MANY YEARS. Also having known how many other drivers in SD knew him, they don't mention the outcome… OUR community of Drivers is very tight. All Charter Bus Drivers are like family, and they deserved to know!!!!!!

Karen said:
        March 2, 2013 at 8:23 AM

No one needs to call anyone a "moron". Bad cyber bully behavior. Bet he wouldn't say that if he was face to face!

Mark W said:
    February 25, 2013 at 10:10 AM

You couldn’t wait until that story comes out?? Moron.

Michelle Victor said:
      February 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM

@ Mark W… WHO THE "H" DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? They may not have followed-up, or mentioned him at all. He was a good person and a friend. You're the Moron!

Karen said:
    February 25, 2013 at 10:47 AM

He dropped us off at 10PM in Ramona. OMG

Michelle Victor said:
      February 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM

@ Karen, thank you for caring enough to remember him. He was a good man.

ronnda said:
      February 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Our condolences to all who knew Ray,loved and care for him.Yes,I too was on the bus that evening. It was a long day for him,on a sunday,away from his family.I respect and admire the dedication to his job.

Karen said:
    February 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM

To Mark, Your "moron" comment is way out of line. . Michelle could be a close friend or family member of Ray . How insensitive to be so rude.

Chris said:
    February 25, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Prayers to his family & hugging my daughter closer to me today- she was on his bus last night before this tragedy happened. He drove her cheer team to & from a competition at Knott’s Berry Farm.

Auntie T said:
      February 25, 2013 at 4:14 PM

OMG my Niece was on that bus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank God he got all of those girls/family home safe. My condolences to his family!!

EKM said:
    February 25, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Did not know him, may he RIP, hope his family recovers. It is so good that there were no passengers in the bus at that time.

omniohl said:
    February 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Can you tell me a better place to pass out than when driving a bus load of screaming passengers!

Michelle Victor said:
      February 26, 2013 at 9:18 AM

@ omniohl — His bus was empty at the time…and He DIED! Your unwelcome comment is BS, cause you obviously didn't read.

Sharon said:
        February 27, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I was a passenger on his bus with the cheerleaders and there was NO screaming! A very quiet ride home watching a movie. My condolences to his family and a big thank you to Ray who got us home safely.

Dawn said:
    February 25, 2013 at 12:26 PM

RIP Ray, from one bus driver to another.

Kat said:
    February 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM

So sad!!!! Our condolences to the family and those who loved him. My daughter and I were on the other bus last night, so we never got to meet Ray, who was the driver of the other bus, but so many of our friends are affected from having only known him for one day. He clearly was a man who touched people's hearts!!!! He is in our prayers and I thank God for allowing him to deliver our girls safely to Ramona before calling this sweet soul home!!!

Guest said:
    February 25, 2013 at 4:43 PM

how blessed…. to have known this guy, willing to work on a Sunday for the joy of others.
    god bless him, & everyone

Sheri said:
    February 25, 2013 at 5:18 PM

So sad, as my daughter too was on the other bus of cheerleaders and when I saw the picture on the news is when I realized it was the same drivers. Prayers to his family and those hearts he touched. Peace and Prayers from the Ramona Community.

anonymous said:
    February 25, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I was on Rays bus last night….i feel bad…hoping we did not miss a sign that he was not feeling well….thank you for getting is home safely.. my condolences to your family

Guest said:
    February 28, 2013 at 8:15 AM

A terrible tragedy for Ray, his family and friends. So fortunate that it happened while the bus was empty – the tragedy could have been so much worse if it had happened on the winding roads to Ramona while loaded full of children. All of us in the school transportation community work hard at our responsibility of transporting our most precious cargo safely to and from all school events.