Man shot while walking his dog

SAN MARCOS, Calif. – A man walking his dog outside the apartment building where he lives was shot and hospitalized Sunday in an attempted robbery.

San Marcos Shooting VictimRicardo Hernandez, 51, was taken to Palomar Medical Center for treatment after three robbers attacked him.  He said he was hit on the side of the head with a beer bottle, then shot in the head.

Police are seeking three men in connection with the incident, which occurred around 8:40 a.m. in the 300 block of Smilax Road, according to Sheriff’s Lt. Scott Amos.

The victim said when he refused to give the suspects any money he was attacked by two men.  Then he saw a third man get out of the car.

“When I saw he had a gun, I ran,” said Hernandez.

As Hernandez ran across the street back to his apartment building, shots were fired with one bullet going through his head.

He fell to the ground and took cover by some mailboxes.  As the shooter came up on him, Hernandez tried to wrestle the gun away.

Hernandez said he started yelling for help and that’s when his wife came out of their apartment and scared off the attackers.

“My mom came in and started crying and crying.  She told me what happened.  I came outside and saw my dad bleeding,” said Hernandez’s son, Richard.

Hernandez got his wounds stapled at the hospital and doctors released him hours later.

“Most people who get shot in the head – they don’t make it.  It’s a miracle to me,” said his son.

The suspects, identified only as Hispanic men in their early 20s, were last seen leaving in a black vehicle, which may have been a Honda, according to Amos.

6 Comments to “Man shot while walking his dog”

Guest said:
    February 24, 2013 at 7:35 PM

A better headline would be; "Robber shot during failed attempt"! -The (usual) suspects, identified only as one or more Hispanic men (males, not real men), were last seen leaving in a black vehicle which may have been a (stolen) Honda. No suspect has been found (and probably won't ever be). C.I.D.

Assault-style magazine clip said:
    February 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM

This is obviously a fake story. There are laws against this sort of thing and everyone obeys the law, so this so called shooting didn’t really happen.

Samuel Huff said:
    February 24, 2013 at 10:54 PM

My friend Alejandro Lenus is this mans neighbor. We were taking him to our meeting at our Kingdom Hall, when he noticed police tape across his house.

Mariana Hernandez said:
    February 25, 2013 at 10:42 AM

his my uncle & stop posting things that you don't know he obviously got shot & if you think that stop putting things OK!!

Mariana Hernandez said:
    February 25, 2013 at 10:43 AM

his my uncle & stop posting things that you don't know he obviously got shot & if you don't think that stop putting things OK!!

John wells said:
    February 28, 2013 at 8:43 AM

He deserved it. Next time, he needs to give up his money. Is $7 worth dying over??? What an idiot!