Local News

Girl saves family from house fire

LAKESIDE, Calif. – A 7-year-old girl saved her family after she woke up Friday morning to a fire that started in her bedroom, authorities said.

Lakeside FireThe fire was caused by a space heater that torched curtains in the bedroom around 3:30 a.m. Friday. It spread quickly through the house on the 10-thousand block of River Street.

“I was really scared,” said 7-year old Victoria Mulvaney.

Mulvaney woke up to glass breaking due to the heat and tried to wake up her 2-year old sister, Lilly, who was sleeping in the crib next to her.

“I was tapping her and trying to move her,” she said.  “It really scared me because she wouldn’t wake up.”

Firefighters said Mulvaney screamed and woke up her mother, her mother’s boyfriend, and another roommate in the home.  The family was able to escape just as the entire home caught fire.

“When we were running out the ceiling caught on fire,” said Mulvaney.

The little girl’s mother was rushed to the hospital due to smoke inhalation but was later released.

A neighbor told Fox 5 that flames coming from the roof shot 10 to 15-feet in the air. The family was seen beating on windows trying to free their pit bull trapped inside.

The dog was found dead after firefighters went inside the home.

The family is temporarily displaced and staying in a hotel, thanks to donations from friends and co-workers.

Donations to the family can be made at any US BANK under the name ‘Victoria Mulvaney and Family.’

VIEW & ADD COMMENTS

1 Comment to “Girl saves family from house fire”

    Chris Okula said:
    February 23, 2013 at 2:00 AM

    Nice work, Jason!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Advertisement

Advertisement