Starbucks opens on Navy warship

SAN DIEGO — Navy personnel aboard the USS Boxer can now get their favorite Starbucks beverage without leaving the San Diego-based amphibious assault ship.

It’s the first fully functioning coffee shop serving the Starbucks’ line of coffees, teas and smoothies to open on a large-deck amphibious assault ship, according to the Navy.

“Starboxer” is a partnership of Starbucks; Commander, Naval Surface Forces; and the Navy Exchange Command Ship Store Program.

“I worked with Starbucks representatives and several contractors to put this all together,” said Lt. Cmdr. Leon Quarles, the Boxer’s assistant supply officer. “We took the basics of Starbucks marketing and applied those principles to the ship.”

He said he wanted to provide “premium-quality” coffee to the crew while on deployment, “so it’s one more thing they won’t miss.”

Starbucks baristas trained crew members, including Logistics Specialist Seaman Thomas Rios, to use the company’s machines.

“I’m excited I was picked to work here,” Rios said. “I think people will be more energized in the morning and look forward to going to the store before work.”

Profits from the establishment, which opened Saturday while the vessel was operating off the coast of California, will go to the ship’s Morale, Welfare and Recreation fund.

7 Comments to “Starbucks opens on Navy warship”

lmbowler said:
    February 11, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Reblogged this on Bowler's Desk and commented:
    Starbucks opens on Navy warship

HERBY said:
    February 13, 2013 at 7:07 AM

WHAT IS IT COSTING THE TAX PAYER TO HAVE SOMEONE SERVE COFFEE??

john said:
    February 13, 2013 at 7:46 AM

let me get a large coffee 2 cream 2 sugar and hold the nuke

Chief said:
    February 13, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Really?? junior sailors are being taught how to manage the starbucks equipment to properly dispense the product. no different than servicing a soda machine. Also, Amphibious Warships don't and have never carried Nukes. Note, these are the same people who fight and die for your right to post non-infomative comments, cut them some slack.

SWO Down said:
    February 13, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Chief, go get 'em….great post. Herby, at sea these sailors have a 24-hour work day in a lot of cases with some that ONLY work 18 hours. So if you have an E-3 with just over 2 years of service and 2 years of sea duty (the most likely scenario for someone doing this work), that sailor makes a whopping $2,000 a month. So at sea,divide that by 30 days and then divide by 18 hours to get the "hourly" wage of $3.70. How much tax payer money is spent for some slug answering phones at the welfare office? Wanna have outrage? Enlist as a Boatswain's Mate on a frigate and let me know how that outrage is after your first cruise with time operating off the Horn of Africa (HOA).

Patty said:
    February 13, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Anything extra our servicemen get is still less then they DESERVE. I'm glad they have a new Starbucks on the boxer. Anyone who has a problem should go join the service and go thru a deployment at less than minimum wage. GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY and Spot on for the Chief and SWO Down!

cambogia garcinia said:
    April 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM

My partner and I stumbled over here from a different page and thought
    I should check things out. I like what I see so
    now i am following you. Look forward to going over your web
    page repeatedly.