Local News

Bus company shutdown after deadly crash

Fatal bus crashSAN DIEGO – The federal government ordered a National City tour bus company involved in a mass-casualty collision near Big Bear last weekend to cease operations immediately, declaring the carrier a hazard to public safety.

Eight people, including three from San Diego, were fatally injured and dozens of others hurt when a passenger coach operated by Scapadas Magicas LLC crashed into two other vehicles and overturned on Highway 38 in Mentone last Sunday evening, according to the California Highway Patrol and San Bernardino County coroner’s officials.

Friday’s decision by the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration prohibits the small bus company from operating in the United States any longer.

“Safety is our number-one priority, and we will not tolerate unsafe bus companies on our nation’s roads,” U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said. “We will not allow safety to be compromised.”

A post-crash investigation by federal inspectors of Scapadas Magicas’ two other motor coaches found serious mechanical safety violations, and those buses were immediately taken out of service, according to federal officials.

Investigators also found that the carrier had failed to ensure that its vehicles were systematically inspected, repaired and maintained, and that its drivers were properly qualified and licensed, contrary to information provided by the company as recently as last month, according to the FMCSA officials.

Among those killed in the wreck were San Diego residents Victor Cabrera Garcia, 13, Elvira Garcia Jimenez, 40, and Guadalupe Olivas, 61.

The driver of one of the vehicles struck by the out-of-control bus succumbed to his injuries in a hospital on Wednesday.

In all, 43 people were involved in the crash — 38 passengers and the driver on the bus, and two each in the other vehicles. A triage area was set up to treat the patients at the scene before they were taken to hospitals, some with life-threatening injuries.

Initial evidence suggested that the brakes on the tour coach gave out, according to an official with InterBus, a Baja California tour company that had leased the vehicle from Scapadas Magicas.

VIEW & ADD COMMENTS

2 Comments to “Bus company shutdown after deadly crash”

    Guest said:
    February 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM

    who's not surprised…..typical.

    kumar said:
    February 9, 2013 at 4:18 PM

    The FBI and DEA fabricate evidence, steal from suspects and use murder to close those bad cases.

    How is it that 12 of the 9/11 terrorists could live for 2 weeks just 2 miles from NSA head quarters in Maryland.This after they had taken flight simulator lessons on Jumbo jet trainers and several of them where on State department terror watch lists.

    There is evidence that employees from the DOJ and DOD accepted bribes from Al Quida and Saudi Intelligence for staying quite will Al Quida where staging and training for the attack.

    If FBI and DEA employees where more concerned with doing their jobs than enriching themselves by stealing from suspects and taking bribes, then there might have been a chance that 9/11 had never happened.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Advertisement

Advertisement