Family devastated by dog shootings

LAKESIDE, Calif. – Residents in a Lakeside neighborhood are on high alert after a dog was shot and killed and another was seriously injured.

Dog shot and killed in Lakeside

Buddy

“Something like this happens – it’s unthinkable,” said Tina Konen, holding onto her dog “Bella,” now wearing a cast on her little leg after someone shot her over the weekend. “You don’t think your dog can walk down the street and get shot.”

Konen said the pinscher-dachshund mix and “Buddy,” a rescued black lab, got out of their home Saturday afternoon.  The family searched for the dogs during the night.  They were found early Sunday morning about a quarter mile from their home.

Bella was found hiding in a yard.  Buddy was found dead in front of another home.  The family buried Buddy, then took Bella to the vet.  At that time, they thought the dogs had been hit by a car.

Dog X-Ray“The vet called us and said she had been shot with pellets,” said Konen, who is confident Buddy was also shot after neighbors reported hearing gunfire that night.

Konen said his death has devastated the family that’s already dealing with a crisis.

Bella

Bella

“Right now, we’re kind of on a tight budget.  My husband has cancer and we lost our home.  We got Buddy for comfort for my husband – that was his buddy,” Konen said.

She wants to make sure Bella heals and that the shooter is caught.

“All the neighbors are really afraid. They’ve all got dogs, too,” she said. “Everybody wants to catch who did this.”

7 Comments to “Family devastated by dog shootings”

Stacy said:
    February 6, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Animal abuse makes me sick. Thoughts to the family :(.

Jamie said:
    February 7, 2013 at 6:17 AM

RIP Buddy!

Petuna said:
    February 7, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Sad, very sad that a person would harm an innocent animal. RIP Buddy and hope little Bella heals quickly!

J R said:
    February 7, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I pray for the family. I pray the family find another dog to render love and care. I pray Bella heal and help fill the void in their lives.

Sad, very sad that all the comments thus far are all about the animals! While it is extremely unlikely these two animals initiated any agressive contact that would prompt self defense, I pray the TRUTH comes out on this for all to enable closure..

guest said:
    February 18, 2013 at 7:12 AM

There are truly sick people in this world. Dogs are wonderful creatures. Especially labs and daushaunds.(Not that I am partial). But ALL dogs are wonderful. They all are trusting us to love and care for them. Hope this person or people are caught.

jai said:
    February 18, 2013 at 1:51 PM

My x-daughter-in-law poisoned my English Mastiff. Wasn't a thing I could do as it wasn't a person. People that do these things should be tortured, death is too good for them. I'm so sorry for your loss… Payers & condolences go out to you

Jake and Tina said:
    February 26, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Thanks to all that have posted condolences. We miss Buddy a lot. He was a great dog and I hope he is waiting for us in heaven to lay by my feet. Bella has healed and looks good. She will be partially lame from the gunshots. There has been no information about the shooter(s).
    Regards