Family claims Disneyland character is racist

SAN DIEGO – A trip to the happiest place on Earth was anything but for a Spring Valley family who’s claiming they are victims of racism and are planning to file suit against Disneyland.

The Black family took a trip to Disneyland in August and their son Jason Black Jr. met his favorite character The Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland.

disney pic

“I went to hug him but he turned his back,” the 6-year-old said. “It’s made me feel sad because I wanted to really hug him.”

“The Rabbit was turning his back on him like he didn’t want to touch him,” said his older brother Elijah Black.  “Then I went up and tried to hold his hand but he kept flicking my hand off.”

The family filed a lawsuit against the Anaheim theme park, claiming the person playing the character of The Rabbit discriminated against their children because they are black.

“I asked the rabbit, I said ‘he wants to hug you,’” said the boy’s mother, Annelia Black. “He’s like twirling his fingers, like hurry up take the picture.”

Their father said it was obvious The Rabbit was avoiding them.

“When the rabbit shied away from the kids, our first instinct was, maybe they have new policy. Maybe they aren’t supposed to touch the kids anymore. So we stood by and watched,” said Jason LeRoy Black Sr.

Two white kids approached The Rabbit moments later.

“[The] Rabbit showered, hugged, kissed and posed with them and took pictures. That made my kids feel horrible, it made us as adults feel horrible,” said Jason LeRoy Black Sr.

The family said they immediately went to the management office to complain, showing them photos that they say indicate the rabbit was trying to avoid touching them.

They filed an official complaint and were offered VIP passes, which they declined.

Instead they’re asking Disney to make a public apology and terminate the employee in The Rabbit suit.

“They’re not trying to get something they don’t deserve,” said their attorney Dan Gilleon. “In fact all they’ve asked for is a little bit of recognition that this should not have happened.”

After months of correspondence with Disney asking them to sign a confidential waiver in exchange for $500, the Blacks have hired an attorney and are demanding surveillance video to prove or disprove their claims.

106 Comments to “Family claims Disneyland character is racist”

sylvia wise said:
    February 8, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I TOOK MY HANDICAPPED CHILD TO SEE CAR RACER, RUSTY WALLACE. MY CHILD WAS TREATED AWFUL BY HIM. BOTH OF COURSE ARE WHITE. THERE WAS A LINE OF PEOPLE LINING UP A FLIGT OF STAIRS AND COMING DOWN ANOTHER LONG FLIGHT OF STAIRS TO GET WALLACE TO SIGN CARS, PICTURES, ETC. I WHELLED MY SON IN THE WHEELCHAIR UP BESIDE OF WALLACE WITH A PHOTO AND ASK HIM IF HE WOULD SIGN IT. HE SAID I HAD TO TAKE MY SON THROUGH THE LINE AND BACK DOWN THE OTHER SIDE. I SAID, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING, THIS CHILD IS IN A WHEELCHAIR, PLUS THE KID HAS NO ARMS OR LEGS. I WALKED AWAY WITH MY SON VERY UPSET. A WORKER THERE ASK WHAT WAS WRONG AND I TOLD HIM. HE COULD NOT BELIEVE THAT WALLACE EXPECTED THE WHEELCHAIR TO GO UP AND DOWN THE STEPS. THE MAN TURNED MY SONS CHAIR AROUND AND WENT BACK TO THE TABLE AND EXPLAINED TO WALLACE THE PROBLEM. OF YES, HE SIGNED THE PHOTO WHICH I USED TO START A FIRE IN MY FIREPLACE. WALLACE NEVER SPOKE TO MY SON OR EVEN RECONIZED HIM BEING THERE. I GET SICK TO MY STOMACH TO LEARN HOW ADULTS TREAT OUR CHILDREN. I KNOW THE HURT THESE LITLE BOYS WENT THROUGH. SO WHAT IF THE RABBIT WAS WHITE, THEY STILL WANTED A SIMPLE HUG. WALLACE COULD HAVE JUST SIGNED THE PHOTO BUT HE HAD TO BE A BIG BUTT ABOUT IT. I AM GLAD HE RETIRED FROM THE RACES BECAUSE NASCAR DOESN'T NEED SOMEONE THAT LOW IN THE SPORT. SAYING , I AM SORRY WILL MAKE THE KIDS FEEL BETTER AND THE PARENTS. WALLACE NEVER SAID, "I AM SORRY'

Guinevere said:
    February 8, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Did anyone else notice the age difference between the kids? I've been to Disneyland many times, and the characters always seem to fawn on the younger kids more than older ones, mostly because a lot of the older ones put off this vibe of "I'm only here cause Mom made me…" To me, standing next to a character with your arms crossed doesn't say hug me. We noticed this last time we were there in Dec, where they played and interacted with my eighteen month old one way but with my younger brother (14) or older kids (8-10) they would try and get them to pose like them or play a different way. Plus, there is no way in those heads to see next to you. That's why for years, if the child we were traveling with was short, we walked them up to the character and had them stand in front. It made it easier for everyone involved I think. They saw us coming, even if they didn't see the kid. There just isn't enough facts right now.

kim said:
      April 4, 2013 at 3:22 AM

the child is only 6 years old

opem eyes said:
    February 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Many comments say, "read the article." I DID read the article. They want an apology, some guy fired(without proof) and The tape to prove or disprove their case. Then with tape in hand comes the law suit fo money!!

Frances said:
    February 13, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I believe this family, 12 years ago, it was Alice in Wonderland and the Mad Hatter!!! A little african american boy kept asking for Alice's autograph and as she ignored him the Mad Hatter kept telling him to say "pretty please", the little boy said it, again the Mad hatter said "say pretty pretty please", and the little boy said it again, and again the Mad Hatter said "say pretty, pretty, pretty please". I stepped in and said "hey you raciest punks, this little boy has waited and you have let others get in front of him, while you tell him to say lies….meaning Alice is not pretty at all!!!!". They looked at me with a sock look and said "oh we were just playing". I said "bullshit, you just got busted and it's not going to end here". I told both characters they were in the wrong and called over his parents. His parents went to their supervisor and filed a complaint.

Fuck Whtey said:
    February 15, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Only a white cracker bigot would see this as non-racist. F you whitey.

david said:
    February 15, 2013 at 5:58 PM

How do they know the race of the person inside the rabbit suit? There are so many people looking for an excuse to their problems and failings, the race card is an easy couple of hundred dollars. Maybe the kid had his fingers up his nose before going up to the rabbit character…

Rings Online said:
    February 25, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I think the person in the costume playing the roll of the cat. should be careful what he dose to a child.

Takae said:
    April 7, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Attractive component to content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to say that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts.

jack said:
    April 8, 2013 at 6:29 PM

It was really helpful that you are sharing this details to your readers, I do personally having a worth while in the article. Thanks for sharing such good release.

Bre said:
    April 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM

How dare anybody to get mad because the way they took offense. THOSE ARE CHILDREN REGUARDLESS OF COLOR! The very first 3 comments i read sound as if you guy's are discriminating. Honestly, thats awful. Especially the one about the free lunch, which supports every single ethnicity & gender. God bless, the family, the rabbit, & Disney Land. I pray that all of this foolishness come to an end. Its people LIKE ME who actually support our rights. I believe in equality.