Local News

Explosion sends motel guests running for their lives

SAN DIEGO – The San Diego Narcotics Task Force and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration were investigating an explosion inside a Midway area motel room that sent guests running for their lives.

An explosion at a San Diego area motel room was allegedly caused by a marijuana extraction process involving butane. (Credit: Don Bartletti / Los Angeles Times)

An explosion at a San Diego area motel room was allegedly caused by a marijuana extraction process involving butane. (Credit: Don Bartletti / Los Angeles Times)

The blast in a second-floor guest room at the Heritage Inn on Channel Way, just south of Interstate 8, was reported shortly after 11 a.m. Wednesday, according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department spokesman Maurice Luque said.

“Glass flew everywhere, windows came out and mattresses came out. It was one big KABOOM and the whole building shook,” a hotel guest said.

Two people inside a room were trying to extract hashish oil from marijuana, using highly flammable butane, San Diego sheriff’s investigators said. Someone lit a cigarette and an explosion blew out walls and windows.

“I saw the guy screaming, crawling out,” said one hotel guest. “I put towels on him, he was burnt up, his eyelashes were burned out, his whole head and feet and hands were raw flesh and his hair was burned.”

Medics took the two people who had been in the room, a man and woman in their early 20s, to UCSD Medical Center for treatment of life-threatening burns and less severe injuries, respectively.

A 20-year-old man who was in an adjacent guest room at the time of the explosion — which blew out several windows and three walls — was taken to the same Hillcrest hospital with moderately serious trauma, in large part caused by flying structural debris, Luque said.

The force of the explosion shattered glass in every direction, sending debris flying, even blowing out the interior wall of the unit next door.

Residents were evacuated while firefighters extinguished the flames within 30 minutes. A hazardous-materials crew determined that no dangerous fumes or other toxic substances were present at the site following the blast and fire, according to Luque.

Longtime residents told Fox 5 that the area has had problems with drugs for years and this hotel knows about it.Explosion at Midway hotel

The man accused of causing the blast and his female companion, whose names were not immediately available, could face criminal charges over the destructive accident, police said.

VIEW & ADD COMMENTS

4 Comments to “Explosion sends motel guests running for their lives”

    GUEST said:
    January 31, 2013 at 1:25 PM

    So much for the pot is good gig

    guest said:
    January 31, 2013 at 4:32 PM

    I wonder if they'll quit now?

    Guest said:
    February 1, 2013 at 11:27 AM

    Great! We get to pay for this crooks medical bills, and if he lives, he'll probably get permanent SSDI too.

    Hotel said:
    March 11, 2013 at 11:32 PM

    For this cause we all the hotel owner should protect our hotel by putting more security(Guard, CCTV and other security devices. There could be happened anything and lot of person could be die but God saved them.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Advertisement

Advertisement