Sports

Phil Mickelson upset about tax burden

SAN DIEGO – Professional golfer Phil Mickelson’s comments Monday regarding his effective high tax rate in California made it seem that was he considering retiring from the sport.

“If you add up all the federal and you look at the disability and the unemployment and the social security and the state… My tax rate is 62-63 percent, so I’ve got to make some decisions on what I’m going to do,” Mickelson said in an interview with Los Angeles Times.

Mickelson Plans To Redesign Torrey Pines CourseThe local golf hero, who lives in Rancho Santa Fe, has made $67 million in PGA winnings and millions more from sponsorships.

Mickelson said he plans to unveil his tax plan to the golfing world on Wednesday.

“I’m not sure what exactly, you know, I’m going to do yet,” he told the Times. “I happen to be in that zone that has been targeted both federally and by the state and, you know, it doesn’t work for me right now, so I’m going to have to make some changes.”

Longtime fans are worried that Mickelson is going to be the punch-line in a joke.

“It’s surprising that he is so frustrated about paying taxes while playing golf. I mean it doesn’t really sound like work to me,” said Keith McKenzie, a wealth manager from Delphi private advisors.

“We are seeing a lot of business make tough choices to leave the state, but they do it quietly,” McKenzie said.

———- UPDATE:

Mickelson released a statement Monday evening addressing his initial tax comments:

“Right now, I’m like many Americans who are trying to understand the new tax laws.  I’ve been learning a lot over the last few months and talking with people who are trying to help me make intelligent and informed decisions.  I certainly don’t have a definitive plan at this time, but like everyone else I want to make decisions that are best for my future and my family.

Finances and taxes are a personal matter and I should not have made my opinions on them public. I apologize to those I have upset or insulted and assure you I intend to not let it happen again.”

36 Comments to “Phil Mickelson upset about tax burden”

lmbowler said:
    January 22, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Reblogged this on Bowler's Desk and commented:
    Phil Mickson upset about tax burden

sane guy said:
    January 22, 2013 at 6:29 AM

I wish I had your problems…money may not make you happy but I'd rather be unhappy rich than unhappy poor

freedie 1x said:
    January 22, 2013 at 6:40 AM

he's full of u know what. show us your tax return

Romeo said:
    January 22, 2013 at 6:48 AM

I, like Sane Guy, would love to be in and solve Mickelson's tax issues….sounds like someone is out of touch….

blisa said:
    January 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Excessive , high tax Rates produces Less tax revenue .

Throttlemonkey said:
    January 22, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Phil Mikelson is the classiest dude I have ever met. I dont follow golf or celebrities. I used to work the ramp on the private side of the airport. Tow and fuel the planes, step and fetch, shlep bags etc. Getting yelled at or snubbed by big shots and stars was the norm. Spanos and Warren Beatty went out of their way to be rude, and then there was Phil. The guy shows up all smiles, looks you in the eye, asks your name, shakes your hand, thanks you, hits you with a hundred bucks. He did that for every guy on the ramp no matter if he worked his plane or not and he did it every time. His wife was always very gracious and would greet and make small talk with us as well. Ive jumped up a couple tax brackets myself since those days but will never forget his generosity. I needed that money and wanted to be apperciated for what I did. Stay classy Phil

theresa said:
    January 22, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Ah I shouild be so lucky to have that tax issue. I'm sorry I cannot feel sorry for you.

Marisa said:
    January 22, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Phil has had a good run for the last 8yrs on the bush taxes. They were never meant to be forever. So now we roll back the Clinton taxes & time to pay his fair share or take a play from Romneys playbook talk about how much you love America but hide ur money in offshore account.

Mickey Mouse said:
    January 22, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Eat the rich……..

DocMatt said:
    January 22, 2013 at 2:58 PM

All those "hate the rich" comments are the exact comments and sentiment that have led California into bankruptcy. I heard someone in Federal Court recently comment to me that there is little white collar crime in California. You want to know why? Because there are no more corporations that do business here for white collar criminals to defraud! So all you Obama lovers and "occupy" morons that think your EBT cards are forever, just wait until every millionaire you demonize is gone, no one will be left to pay your food stamps. FYI Phil is one of the best parts of San Diego. It is truly sad and pathetic that someone that has lived their entire life here would have to move due to the government stealing money.

les said:
      January 22, 2013 at 3:30 PM

take a chill pill, and try and stay on topic..

Ray said:
    January 22, 2013 at 3:20 PM

No matter what you think of him, having 60% of your money taken away is thievery!

baronne said:
      January 22, 2013 at 3:33 PM

so all he had left over is 20 some odd million dollars Ray? thank full for what he's got is out of line?

Criminal Law Federal said:
    May 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM

You have a invaluable site. I have been previously the following reading through for approximately a couple of hours. I’m a beginner and your education and learning is extremely useful to myself. Thanks

linda said:
    June 1, 2013 at 3:50 AM

well this is everybody's nightmare

six pack abs said:
    October 17, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Repeat this up to 12 times then do it on the other side.

Then there are the oblique, a pair of muscles located at the side of the

ribcage. Many people think that sit-ups are the only

way to work your abdominal muscles, but there are several standing

exercises that you can do for stronger abdominals.

Cheap Phen375 said:
    October 18, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Hello to all, it’s in fact a good for me to pay a quick visit this website, it includes helpful Information.

Stacey said:
    October 18, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Aw, this was an exceptionally good post. Spending some time and actual effort to make a great article… but what
    can I say… I put things off a whole lot and don’t seem to get nearly anything
    done.

Damion said:
    October 22, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I wondered if you do linkbuilding for your personal website?
    Most people told me not to do that anymore
    Added a share on my Facebook, hope thats okay!

west yorkshire fire service recruitment said:
    November 25, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Hello colleagues, how is the whole thing, and what

you desire to say on the topic of this piece of writing, in my view its really remarkable for

me.

gout patients said:
    December 22, 2013 at 5:55 AM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on iphone 5c elago. Regards

panda at the zoo said:
    December 26, 2013 at 1:48 PM

It’s going to be finish of mine day, but before finish
    I am reading this great piece of writing to increase my
    know-how.

Mulberry Lily Bag said:
    December 31, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Hey! I’m at work surfing around your blog from my new apple iphone!

Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and
    look forward to all your posts! Carry on the fantastic work!

bf4 said:
    January 3, 2014 at 5:21 AM

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It actually used
    to be a entertainment account it. Glance advanced to more introduced agreeable from you!
    However, how could we keep up a correspondence?

Www.Sviluppositoweb.Org said:
    January 4, 2014 at 6:01 PM

I do not know whether it’s just me or if everyone else encountering
    problems with your site. It appears as if some of the
    text on your posts are running off the screen. Can someone else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them as well?
    This could be a problem with my internet browser
    because I’ve had this happen before. Cheers

لعبة زوما said:
    January 18, 2014 at 1:32 PM

العاب فريف said:
    January 18, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I benefited a lot from this topic

code de triche clash of clans said:
    February 5, 2014 at 4:07 PM

This post will help the internet visitors for setting up
    new weblog or even a weblog from start to end.

Lakesha said:
    February 22, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Good day! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group
    of volunteers and starting a new project in a
    community in the same niche. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on.
    You have done a wonderful job!

mobile phone checker said:
    February 23, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Today, I went to the beachfront with my kids. I
    found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said
    “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She placed the shell
    to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally off topic but
    I had to tell someone!

skinny men chinos said:
    March 1, 2014 at 10:10 PM

It’s enormous that you are getting thoughts from this post as well as from our dialogue made
    here.

calling internationally said:
    March 2, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Very good blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?
    I’m hoping to start my own site soon but I’m a little lost
    on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option?
    There are so many choices out there that I’m completely overwhelmed ..
    Any tips? Bless you!

cure for thyroid said:
    March 3, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Do you have a spam problem on this blog; I also am a blogger, and I was wanting to know your situation; many of us have created some nice procedures and we are looking to swap techniques
    with others, please shoot me an e-mail if interested.

العاب 250 said:
    March 14, 2014 at 2:58 AM

thanks for all this great and valuable informations …