Marine recruit arrested after running across airport tarmac

SAN DIEGO — A recruit from the Marine Corp Recruit Depot was arrested at San Diego Lindbergh Field early Thursday after he ran across the runway, authorities said.

Man Arrested on Lindbergh TarmacAir traffic controlers saw the man cross the tarmac and run toward Gate 6 in Terminal 1 around 6:20 a.m. They alerted San Diego harbor police, saying the man appeared to be trying to hide in a service vehicle. Officers arrested the man about 10 minutes later, according to airport officials.

Helicopter video showed officers escorting the man to an ambulance. He was taken to a local hospital for treatment of unspecified injuries.

An airport employee told FOX5 News that the man, who was dressed in camouflage pants and a green shirt, tried to steal several vehicles. He finally jumped into a janitorial van and was injured when he crashed it, the employee said.

Military police from nearby Marine Corps Recruit Depot were summoned.  MCRD is adjacent to the airport and separated from runway by a chain-link fence topped with razor wire. Helicopter video showed a police officer remove a piece of cloth or clothing that was tangled in the razor wire.

It was unclear why the man decided to enter airport property, though recruits from the adjacent military training base periodically do so, apparently to “get away from boot camp,” harbor police Sgt. Brad Hizer said.

The recruit, whose name was withheld, had reported to MCRD on Monday, was undergoing initial processing and had yet to begin his military training, according to a statement from the base.

No flight disruptions were reported.

28 Comments to “Marine recruit arrested after running across airport tarmac”

guest said:
    January 17, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Hello he is probably a marine recruit trying to go awol

burbanktj said:
      January 17, 2013 at 1:38 PM

or maybe he was doing exactly what the article says, " tried to steal several vehicles".

Tony said:
      January 18, 2013 at 12:03 AM

AWOL is an Army term. I think the term you were looking for is UA (unauthorized absence).

Yvette said:
      January 18, 2013 at 2:34 AM

REALLY? Wow. And I thought my parolee boyfriend was STUPID; but nope…You are clearly a MORON!!

Guest1 said:
    January 17, 2013 at 9:20 AM

40 years ago the DI would tell you "There's the fence if you want out. Just toss a blanket over it if you can't make the cut". Seems this guy was even too dumb to figure that part out.

douglas said:
    January 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Another damn fool after his fifteen minutes!

lmbowler said:
    January 17, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Reblogged this on Bowler's Desk and commented:
    Marine recruit arrested after running across airport tarmac

guest said:
    January 17, 2013 at 11:47 AM

we were always told if we wanted to leave we could- and they always pointed us in the direction of the door, he wanted to leave

Guest said:
    January 17, 2013 at 12:02 PM

another jarhead on bath salts…

Tony said:
    January 17, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Ask any west coast marine and I bet the majority of us thought about this exact thing at one point or another during our basic training. You non-military readers well take your jabs at this kid for his stupidity and lack of judgement, but being a former MCRD San Diego graduate I find this funny. Non-the-less this kid is a whimp for not seeing his commitment through. Non-military personal please save your bashing comments to yourself because even though this kid couldn't hack it in our beloved corps he at least made it this far which is more than the vast majority of the population can say. Leave the funny comments to us people that know exactly why this kid was driven to do this. He would have had a better chance in Camp Pendleton. Interstate 5 is just on the other side of the fence. LOL

Chesty Puller said:
    January 18, 2013 at 1:04 AM

I'm pretty sure he was trying to catch a flight out to MCRD Parris Island where real Marines are made and not issued surfboards upon arrival. :-) :-)

Larz said:
    January 18, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Real Women Marines are made at Parris Island!

Damn proud Hollywood Marine!

erpsourcing.com said:
    January 19, 2013 at 11:56 AM

In my observation, the main variables significant to gallbladder assaults
    and dysfunction are weight problems (and speedy weight-loss
    (for example1 pound per week); “fat-free” eating plan plans are especially undesirable.
    A weight loss program becomes profitable when dieting and exercises go hand in hand.
    After getting that quite a few approaches do not operate, turning to
    this program especially ultimately showed how it is performed the proper
    way.As a outcome, we may possibly end up eating more calories
    than we can basically burn out with exercises.If you have raised the number
    of calories in your diet, then you have to either intensify the workout
    or there should really be an enhance in the number of days you are working out in a week.
    If you want to get rapidly weight reduction and fat loss,
    the most crucial element you need to have to perceive is that
    you’ve got to do so naturally.it will even teach you how eating a scrumptious meal ahead of going to bed at evening will assistance you to burn fat, and lose weight quickly while youre sleeping!They are taking so significantly work to get rid of those additional pounds but they fail to yield any satisfactory benefits.While a lessen in excess weight lessens the threat of gallstone formation, there is a 15 to 25 percent raise in gallstone formation for the duration of or suitable away adhering to weight loss!

DCAL said:
    January 19, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I guess he changed his mind about joining the Marines.

Dave said:
    February 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Matt Johnson, it's Marine Corps – with an "s" at the end of "Corp." We aren't a corporation.

richdad59 said:
    April 24, 2013 at 1:58 AM

There are a lot of low life's out there. Too many young men too lazy to work for a living! For those that are still willing to take that route…If you know anyone interested in another type of cleaning business, in fact just about any other type is advertised here in a new video that I made
    the video.. .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5hHdseYyZ0

the site http://www.startjanitorialservice.com

travel to morocco said:
    May 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM

he changed his mind about joining the Marines

homepage said:
    October 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM

For the record, Tomlinson has adamantly denied that he and

Styles are lovers. Would you sacrifice a great guy just because one thing is out of balance.

Liberty Belle: In Portland, where everyone I knew

began getting sick and dying.

excursion skoura said:
    November 12, 2013 at 3:14 AM

that's so sad

jednoznaczne plany kot_w na pelety - palniki na pelety - kot_y - palniki - kocio_ - palnik A... said:
    November 27, 2013 at 3:36 AM

Sitting in front of an open hearth fireplace with some pine logs snapping as the
    flames lick and flicker here and there. The garage, laundry room, loft, terrace, office, gym, utility room, craft room,
    rooms being built, etc. While opting for an outdoor
    wood furnace you will have to boil water in a boiler that is heated with wooden logs.

casino said:
    November 28, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Wow, wonderful weblog structure! How long have you ever been running a blog for?

you made blogging look easy. The overall glance of your web site is fantastic,

as well as the content!

riad ouarzazate said:
    December 24, 2013 at 6:27 AM

he changed his mind about joining the Marines

gothic 3 pobierz said:
    January 7, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Hello there! I jst would like to offer you a big thumbs up for your
    great information you’ve got here on this post. I will be returning
    to your web site for more soon.

لعبة سيارات said:
    January 22, 2014 at 2:09 PM

love it nice topic thanks you

bing said:
    January 24, 2014 at 9:09 PM

I’m not sure why but this site is loading extremely slow for me.
    Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue
    on my end? I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists.

0311 said:
    February 12, 2014 at 4:59 AM

To my understanding he's my cousin or some form of family member. I myself served and so called did my time at MCRD. I'll direct this off of the comment about non- military ragging on this kid. Even if you are/ did serve it still doesn't matter what you think, and no I'm not sticking up for the kid, because most of you pick a bitch MOS to begin with. With that said I was Infantry and even though every other MOS is attached or in support of the Infantry, 95% of the time those MOSs don't do shit. Motor T, Trackers, and Aviators I'll give credit to. Like the saying goes "If you aren't 03 you aren't shit" is a phrase I took pride in during my time. I can go on and on about other MOSs but back to topic. I understand how dramatic Boot Camp is and seeing first hand recruits going crazy, refusing to train, ect. At the end of all the stuff you're put through and no matter where you went to Boot Camp your life is changed in two different ways. One you walk across the parade deck with pride, or by noticing you're a failure to yourself. If you want to take a stab at someone CIV/ MIL stab at me, because I know my bites bigger than your bark. I'll check back in a few days, and I just found out we were related or I would've put something here long ago.

العاب تلوين said:
    March 1, 2014 at 11:15 AM

purt hups he chage her opnion

لعبة ماريو said:
    April 11, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Real Women Marines are made at Parris Island!