Politics

Police chief backs Obama’s gun control plans

SAN DIEGO – Nineteen executive orders are expected to be announced Wednesday by President Obama in a major push to curb gun violence.

“It’s time for reasonable gun control reform,” said San Diego Police Chief Willam Lansdown.

Lansdown said he was one of 60 chiefs across the country that weighed in on what could be done to slow US gun deaths that surpassed 31,000 in 2010.

lansdowne 2“Stricter back round checks, a ban on assault weapons, and a data base that tracks guns, needs to be the starting point,” he said. “My officers should never be out gunned, but sometimes that’s the sad realty.”

Gun advocates said with 300 million guns in the United States there is little that can be done.

“This talk of gun control has starred a frenzy of buying and it’s becoming difficult to keep product on the shelf,” said Andrew Romaro from The American Shooting Center. “There are already plenty of laws that regulate guns more restrictions will infringe on gun rights.”

9 Comments to “Police chief backs Obama’s gun control plans”

lmbowler said:
    January 16, 2013 at 4:00 AM

Reblogged this on Bowler's Desk and commented:
    San Diego’s Police chief backs Obama’s gun control plans

Will said:
    January 16, 2013 at 10:11 PM

IDK if anyone else has looked into it but since 1981 only 2 officers have been killed by assault rifles and those were by the same shooter in 1981.

Retired LEO said:
    January 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I am retired law enforcement, and the Chief is way off base. The 2nd Amendment is about giving the people the power to stand against tyranny. When it was written the founders wanted the citizens to have the same access to weapons that the authorities had. More bans and laws are not going to do anything. Almost every gun crime I dealt with before I retired was committed with a weapon that was illegally obtained. Attacking the 2nd Amendment and the right's of law abiding gun owners is political theater.

scotty1111 said:
    January 19, 2013 at 3:32 PM

If Landsdown backs Obama's plan, then he has no concept of the proper roles of government and the limits of Executive orders, and should not be Police Chief. As a public employee, he took an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States. If he cannot do that, then he needs to go, now!

DanRyan said:
    January 28, 2013 at 2:17 PM

It's time for this chief to retire. If he really thinks he can disarm us, then I say to him, molon labe ("Come and take them"). I demand that this anti-American RESIGN!!!

matt said:
    February 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM

As a concerned responsible gun owner I decided to try a little experiment. I left my rifles and hi cap pistols on my bed all day to see if they could cause any trouble. Guess what, when I checked on them in a couple of hours later they hadn’t done anything wrong, I even went over and pushed them around held them upside down , repeatedly opened and closed the action to see if that would make them go out and cause trouble. My findings are that the gun is not the problem.

Cheryl said:
    March 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Hello Hi
    fellow humans freedom fighters the undivided,

We 'must' provide psychopaths with brutal merciless physical consequence, before it's too late.
    psychopaths atypically 'never' learn, so we must treat them like a wild animal that's repeatedly determined to break into a nursery to eat our children.

In the meantime,
    However, it's important to keep our 'spirits' up and attack the beast with ridicule also.
    Have you seen the latest on Obama? – It was written by another of my courageous heroes, it's hilarious and mind blowing, if it goes viral I don’t think Obama could survive it :- http://Christlike.be/Obama.php

This guy does a brilliant job on the lizard queen :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhF9bsyqcCc

Cheers,