SD woman sells ‘I love Newtown’ shirts to support her hometown

SAN DIEGO – A San Diego woman, who grew up in Newtown, CT, is selling “I love Newtown” t-shirts to raise money for the victims in Friday’s tragedy.

Kerin Sovern said a group of her friends first created the t-shirts when they were seniors at Newtown High School. The original shirts said “I love Newtown” inside an outline of the state of Connecticut.

“We all loved Newtown,” said Sovern. “And we thought it would be funny, ‘let’s make kind of a fun t-shirt to express our love for our town.’”

Screen Shot 2012-12-18 at 6.29.44 PMHours after the shooting, Kerin posted an old photo online of her friends wearing the t-shirts. Friends began responding and many suggested turning the t-shirts into a fundraiser.

The re-designed t-shirts will look similar, but with a green outline and green heart. Inside the heart: the date 12/14/12. Green and white are the school colors of Sandy Hook Elementary.

The t-shirts are being sold for $25 at www.newtownpride.com. Printing companies are donating the materials so that all the proceeds can go to the families in Newtown. Sovern is also in the process of filing for nonprofit status.

“There’s not going to be any cost, except for the shipping,” said Sovern. “It’s pretty phenomenal. It’s just a snowball effect of greatness out of a tragic situation.”

So far the majority of orders have come from Newtown residents and San Diegans wanting to make a difference.

“San Diego cares,” said Sovern. “San Diego reminds me a lot of Newtown as far the community and camaraderie they show. It’s been a blessing to live here with such wonderful people, as well. San Diego is my home now, but Newtown will be forever my home.”

Just during our interview 10 orders came in and as of Tuesday afternoon close to 300 t-shirts had sold. That’s more than $5,000 for the cause. With your help Sovern hopes that number will continue to rise.

17 Comments to “SD woman sells ‘I love Newtown’ shirts to support her hometown”

betty van devander said:
    December 19, 2012 at 4:25 AM

i think you are doing a great thing for this town, they say God has a reason for everything, so he certainly must have used you and your friends many years ago even though you didn’t know it, he did, i believe selling these t-shirts is a wonderful thing to do. i am so glad to see there are still people out there with a heart and who are glad to help others.May God Bless you and all who are helping you with this. I will continue to keep you and Newtown in my prayers.

May God Bless you all

betty van devander

Kerin said:
      December 19, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Betty,

God bless you as well. Thank you for donating!!
      Merry Christmas.

Kerin

Jennifer Propst said:
    December 19, 2012 at 7:11 AM

I have a small custom engraving business and would love to help Newtown CT..
    I wanted to make a custom keychain with the I love Newtown CT logo on it…
    Each keychain cost me $2.50 each to make and I wanted to try to sell them for $7.00 to $10.00 each, so I could donate the proceeds to the Newtown community….
    Thanks for you time
    Jennifer
    (918) 520-7326
    Mounds, Oklahoma

Jackie said:
    December 19, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I bought my shirt when I heard them talking about it on Energy 103.7 on Monday :)

kerin said:
      December 19, 2012 at 8:56 PM

thank you so much jackie, you are fantastic!

kerin

Kylie said:
    December 19, 2012 at 10:46 PM

What a truly wonderful thing you are doing! Best of luck :)

Sarah said:
    December 20, 2012 at 5:02 AM

I'd love to get one, but the link is not working :(

laci512 said:
      December 20, 2012 at 6:23 AM

The link did not work for me either, but when I typed the address into the address bar it took me to the website.

Laci Greer said:
    December 20, 2012 at 6:22 AM

Can’t wait to get our shirts! What a wonderful thing you have done!

Doug said:
    December 20, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Why is everyone thanking god, it was the woman from San Diego who did all of it…

Bob said:
    December 23, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I have a close friend that is a Kindergarden Teacher. She is in very bad shape. I ordered four of your shirts for her and I am going to give her a Teddybear too. Kerin find solice in knowing how much you helped this girl and so many like her.

Bob

Kirk said:
    December 30, 2012 at 1:50 PM

On Wed. 12-19-12 I ordered 2 tee shirts. Separate orders as I could only order one at a time. I paid through Pay Pal. As of this post ( 12-30-12) I have not received my items. If you would respond to let me know the status I would appreciate it.

Martha said:
    January 3, 2013 at 12:14 PM

On Wed. 12-19-12 I ordered 3 tee shirts. Separate orders as I could only order one at a time. I paid through Pay Pal. As of today (1-3-13) I have not received my items. Please let me know the status of my order. Thanks!

chip macdonald said:
    January 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I ordered a t shirt 3 weeks ago and I am still waiting FOR IT!! Is this a scam or what???? Not very happy since I grew up in CT (Hartford) and felt as if you were doing something good……Gee Thanks!

cool nike golf said:
    March 3, 2013 at 11:55 PM

You did a good job i realy appreciate your collection for casual clothing sellers.