Cyclist hit by SUV after running light

Bicycle AccidentSAN DIEGO –  A 25-year-old man suffered serious injuries when he was struck on his bicycle by a Toyota 4-Runner in a San Diego intersection, police said.

The collision was reported at 8:22 p.m. Sunday at Broadway and 16th Street, according to San Diego police Officer David Stafford.

The 25-year-old man was riding his bicycle westbound on Broadway when he ran a red light at 16th Street and was struck by the SUV going northbound on 16th Street, Stafford said.

“The bicyclist sustained a fractured spine and head injuries,” he said. “He was transported to a local trauma center with non-life threatening injuries.”

Alcohol was not a factor in the crash, Stafford said.

9 Comments to “Cyclist hit by SUV after running light”

Joelee said:
    December 17, 2012 at 12:25 PM

i'm not surprised. Quite frequently I see bicyclists not adhering to the regular rules of traffic – as well as pedestrians. The dummy that ran the light has now not only messed up his world, but the world of the SUV driver. Lovely.

Sean said:
    December 17, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Yea, the cyclists rarely adhere to traffic rules, I see this every single day.

cycle junkie said:
    December 17, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I hope the rider is OK, however, this is what we now teach cyclists is acceptable when we have critical mass riders ignoring traffic signals all over downtown. Traffic lights are there for a reason, now I’m sure the driver is also traumatized.

jmg said:
    December 17, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I'm all for folks cycling, but the same rules the cars need to follow, you need to follow. Just yesterday I had a car in front of me have to slam on brakes because some idiot cyclist ran a light on Hotel Circle. I see idiot cyclists running lights, traveling against traffic and veering out without looking all the time. Not to mention the number of dummies riding bikes at night with no lights on the bike and not only not wearing any reflective clothing, but wearing jeans and dark jackets. And my personal pet peeve riding side by side so that one of them is outside the bike lane. Not so smart when the main road speed is 45 and there are hills creating blind spots. Hopefully this idiot will follow traffic signals from now on and encourage his friends to do the same.

Lou said:
    December 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I'm an avid cyclist and part time cycling advocate. I'll be the first to defend my (and every other cyclists' ) right to be on the road but I fell NO sympathy for reckless riders who blow through stop signs/lights and act like they own the entire avenue. It is individuals like him that undermine our validity on the road.

Anonymous said:
    December 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM

You are all stupid!!! This is not what actually happened, this is the account of the driver because the cyclist was unconscious. But way to go idiots, always giving your opinion with minimum facts. This is why the world, the U.S. is a horrible place, because we rejoice on others suffering. what if the cyclist died, is a cop a doctor to declare non-threatening injuries?!? I hope when a tragedy relative to your lives happen, somebody says something ignorant and prejudice like you just did.

click here to find out more attic fan said:
    July 2, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.