Sailors save veteran’s life at zoo

Ensign Janean Wujek and Stephanie MoorSAN DIEGO – Two Navy sailors visiting the San Diego Zoo with family stumbled upon an unconscious man and worked together to save his life, Navy officials said.

The incident happened the day after Thanksgiving. Ensign Janean Wujek and Hospital Corpsman 3rd Class Stephanie Moor of the Naval Medical Center San Diego were on their way to see the Zoo’s hippopotamus exhibit when they saw a group of concerned people.

“As I approached, I noticed a man approximately 65 years of age lying lifelessly on the ground. I informed [the bystanders] that I was a corpsman from the Cardiac Rehab Clinic at NMCSD and asked if they wanted help,” said Moor.

“There was a woman saying, ‘Stop, don’t go over there! There is a man getting CPR.’ My mind clicked into nurse mode, and I immediately ran over,” Wujek said. “When I arrived, the victim was not breathing. He was blue as a blueberry and had a thready pulse, so we continued with chest compressions and rescue breathing.”

The victim was identified as Navy veteran James Thompson from Clearbrook, Minn. He was transported to Scripps Mercy Hospital where he spent eight days after having surgery to implant a pacemaker defibrillator, Navy spokesman John Philip Wagner Jr. said.

“[Thompson] was a walking time bomb, and he was lucky that it happened when he had expert people to help him,” said Debbie Andreen, a family friend.

“I’m at a loss for words. Their dedication to duty – it’s awesome. Coming to the aid of a complete stranger – I would just like to say thank you for their help,” said Thompson.

Thompson was released from the hospital, Wagner said.  As for Moor and Wujek, they were honored with a standing ovation at the NMCSD Director, Department Head and Senior Enlisted Leaders meeting.

“I am incredibly proud of Ensign Wujek and Hospital Corpsman 3rd Class Moor.  They represent what Navy medicine is all about – saving lives and making a difference for those who need our help,” said Rear Adm. C. Forrest Faison III, commander of NMCSD and Navy Medicine West.

10 Comments to “Sailors save veteran’s life at zoo”

lmbowler said:
    December 11, 2012 at 3:40 AM

Reblogged this on Bowler's Desk and commented:
    Sailors save Navy vet’s life at zoo

Seamus said:
    December 11, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Go Navy!

scott miller said:
    December 11, 2012 at 3:31 PM

being in the right place at the right time is always a critical thing……… congrats to both on a job well done, your dedication and training helped save a navy vet's life!!!!

JAMES THOMPSON said:
    December 11, 2012 at 9:12 PM

MY NAME IS JAMES THOMPSON AND I AM THE MAN WHO'S LIFE WAS SAVED BY THESE TWO NURSE'S I JUST WANT TO SAY "THANK YOU" TO THE TWO ANGELES THAT SAVED MY LIFE. I AM NOW BACK IN MN. AND FEEL GOOD. I EXPECT TO LIVE MANY MORE YEARS AND ENJOY MY GRAND KIDS AS THEY GROW UP THANKS TO THESE TWO NURSE'S THANK YOU AGAIN AND GOD BLESS JIM THOMPSON

Grace Harding said:
    December 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Outstanding job, Navy. Ensign Wujek and Hospital Corpsman 3rd Class Moor are added to our Hero list. God Bless you.

Tom Walker said:
    December 14, 2012 at 6:51 AM

Bravo Zulu

vegetarian dim sum 'ingredients' said:
    December 18, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Hello to every body, it’s my first pay a quick visit of this weblog; this website consists of amazing and truly fine data designed for visitors.

major medical insurance said:
    December 23, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I read this paragraph completely on the topic of the difference of most up-to-date and previous technologies, it’s amazing article.

Derp said:
    March 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Fraternizing saves lives.

Hot Water Heater Repair Austin said:
    February 20, 2014 at 6:16 AM

The laser armpit hair removal works better if you allow the hairs to grow 2 weeks previous to the laser treatment.
    Although they may use the same principle, hot wax can
    give better results compared to cold wax. 2) It is not beneficial for red,
    blonde and gray hair. Looking that good takes a
    lot of effort, and by promoting procedures like laser hair removal, celebrities
    are giving us all hope that we too can look great every
    time we step outside our front door. It works
    rapidly and can help with permanent hair reduction.